Right action for Shimano 6500B

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by JamisonM, Aug 20, 2006.

1. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What action rod would you guys reccomend for a shimano 6500B?

2. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I guess everyone has their different preferences for rod actions with particular reels etc. And, of course, based upon where, how and what you are fishing for. But, for me, and the 6500 B that I have, I prefer a Medium Heavy or Heavy action rod. Since, I will be throwing very heavy baits and sinkers with it, in pursuit of very large fish.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I totally agree, I have my 6500 on a MH action rod, works great. I could also see how it would work good with a Medium action rod, but I wouldn't go any smaller then medium action.

4. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the information guys. It's funny, when I was looking at the particulars for a tiger rod and a bigwater rod (both ugly stiks), the tiger was a medium and the bigwater was a heavy action rod, but both had very close specifications. I guess it was a medium for tiger rods.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think the Ugly Stik Tiger and the Baitrunner 6500 would be an awesome combination. Good luck.

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I usually match line recc. on reel to 5 under max line for rod's capacity - for example ... if my reel holds 180yds of 40 lb, i spool it with 35 lb on a 20-40lb rated heavy action rod. Just what I personally like tho...

7. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the info guys. I went down the local tackle shop and they were nice enough to order me a 6500 and 7ft medium action tiger for me at no additional charges except for their prices. I'm going to pick them up on wednesday and plan on filling up the spool with 50lb power pro. Again, thanks for all the info guys; big help.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    are you getting a 6500b model? if so i would look into the uglystick big water model 1100 8ft rated for 1-6 oz and indestructable.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    correction bws1102 8ft 1-6oz casting wt and with my 6500 it'll cast 100 plu yds.

10. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    For my 6500B I use a MH 9' Glowstick and it works really good.