Riggings for flats

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bw69r, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what are some of your favorite riggings for flatheads?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I typically use a 3-way rig. I rig it differently for flats however, based on the snag threat! Here i use a very heavy weight 5-8 oz. to hold the bait in place. The leader for the sinker is about 12-18 inches. The sinker leader is also made out of mono that is half of the weight/test of my mono on my reel. My leader for my Circle hook is only about 4-6 inches. This rig allows me to fish very close to deep, thick cover. The fish has very little line to play with so it greatly reduces my snags. The reduced strength sinker leader will allow that leader to break very easily should it become snagged and I will be able to recover most of my rig or a real good fish.

3. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Cant go wrong with a Carolina Rig ! :big_smile:

4. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm no authority on this because I'm just getting into flatheads myself, but I don't believe it's probably much different that what I used for blues and channels other than my hook size and weight. What I'm using now is a 7# kahle hook running off a 12-20" leader. Upline from the leader is a swivel, bead, and a sinker slide (not sure of a technical name). The slide will run up and down the line (30lb mono) and has a quick connect (similar to a clasp on a leader). This allows me to change weights very easily without messing with my rig. If I'm not holding position on my first cast, I simply bring it back in and change my weight. Total of 30 seconds and I'm back in the water. Everyone has their own style, but I haven't had any problems up to this point with this rig.

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Jeff, I'm very interested in seeing a pic of this rig, could you post one?

6. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Sure Justin....I haven't posted a pic on this site yet and will need to check the library on how to do it, but I'll get one posted for you. I will mention that Great Pappy Cat used one of my sinker slides and said that he was experiencing abrasion issues. I've been keeping an eye on mine since but haven't noticed much, although I do get some. I check for burrs before putting the slide on and usually replace the first foot or so on my main line every trip or two just to be safe. Line should be checked, and kept in good shape regardless so I don't see this as a very big issue. Just wanted to pass his insight on to everyone who may decide to try the rig. Just keep an eye on your line and see how it works for you. Every line is going to react differently to different situations.

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just recently changed my setup but the way I rig is an 8/0 octopus-cirlce hook, a 5mm bead, and a sinker slide/swivel. off the sinker slide/swivel I run about 1 foot of lower pound mono than main line and a sinker. This too allows me to change sinkers in less than a minute! I will try and submit a drawn up picture here quick :wink:

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Link to Picture

There is my setup, I use 25lb Green Berkeley Big Game, Gamakatsu Octopus-Circle Hooks 8/0, 5mm plastic beads, sinker slide OR size 5 swivel, 15lb Berkely Big Game to sinker, and sinker size depends on conditions. Sinker and swivel tied with polomar knots, and sinker tied with loop at snap. bead and slide/swivel are free to move about on line, bead is to protect knot and keep swivel off the hook.

*I can not figure out how to get the picture to be embedded, thus the link :eek:oooh:

9. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Pretty nice rig Mike....I was wondering how you were keeping the sinker line from getting all wrapped up around the main line but the slide/swivel combination would help allow it to spin around, rather than wrap up on the cast. That wrapup is still my main concern tough....Non issue???

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well I dont use both a slide and swivel, I use either or. Usually just a swivel becuase they are cheaper 6 for $.59 rather than 2 for $.59. But either way I never have wrap-ups. during the cast the weight hangs down usually lower than the bait and once in the air it separates by about 3 feet and lands in the water separated. It works well for me. WhiskerWacker actually showed me the setup, I used to use about the same only I would wrap the line through the bead twice not allowing it to move anywhere, i found that is not needed.

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i use a snap swivel on the main line with a gum band attached to the snap then i pass the gum band threw the eye of the sinker then over the sinker and it cinches up nice. i then tie on a barrel swivel and attach my leader then tie on my hook. this is working great for me and the sinker won't tangle up anything and i have yet to lose any thing yet to snags and lord knows i get in them enough. the rubber band will break before any thing else will and have noticed if you pull pretty steady everything seems to come out of the snags. haven't had a band break yet.

12. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    bw69r, that is a great idea, I may have to try out the rubberband with my setup. seems it would be much easier to rig as I would have two less knots to tie :smile2:

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Mike, that is why i started doing it this way. i got tired of tying knots especially when night fishing just too much of a pain and you really don't have to worry about tangles. it is working out much better than i thought it would.