Rigging

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by billNpam, Jan 21, 2010.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    We have all read threads on what bait to use and what pole and line to use. But the question I have is on rigging. How do you do it. From the rod tip do you go sinker, swivel, hook with 10" of line in between each one? Do you change your rigging do too the type of bait you use or to the type of catfish you are seeking? Do you use a 1/2 oz sinker or a 2 lb sinker ETC ETC or does it even matter. I think this explains what the question is if you need more clarification please post it. I am very intersted in seeing how many different combinations we come up with.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use a slip rig 90% of the time.I use braided line,then my sliding sinker(usually no-roll type),then a 1/0 swivel,then 8-12" of Slightly lighter mono,then my hook which I tie with a palomar knot.My sinker sizes go from 3-16ozs,it depends on how fast the currents running in the river I,m fishing.You want to use enough weight to hold on the bottom.For hooks,I stick to J hooks in the 2/0-10/0 size,depending on the size of the bait.I,ve been using the Kat bobbers since last year in a few places I fish,they,re just your basic slip float rig,only larger.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also use a slip type rig or carolina rig. The only difference is that I use a sinker slide instead of a no roll sinker. I use the sinker slide becasue I only bank fish and with all the casting and retrieving, I am afraid the no roll will eventually fray the line. I use #65 power pro with #40 mono for leaders. I usually cast 5 or 6oz sinkers with 8/0 octopus circle hooks.

4. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    My personal favorite go-to rig is simple. Main line with a large barrel swivel attached, an 18" mono leader of the same test as the main line, 7/0 circle hook, and then live bait. Palm sized gills are my favorite. I just toss him out to the middle and let the current carry him down stream. There is less shock to the bait this way. I hook the bait behind the dorsal fin but, above the spine. I don't want to paralyze him. My bait can swim freely and make a ruckus. Since small amounts of current, and the bait swimming, can carry the bait along way, adding lead is sometimes not necessary and many times not preferred.

Basically this setup has a tendency to put the bait along the bank or in close proximity to it. Last night I used this same exact rig and in 5 minutes time I had a 10# blue and my son had 5# and 2# blues.

The lighter the live bait, the closer the current swings it to the bank. The beauty of this rig is that the current will carry the bait downstream as long as the reel is not locked.

Sometimes, I will feed line into the current to get the bait further downstream if they aren't biting. It is also a great method for putting bait downstream further than you could ever a) cast or b) cast and have the bait survive.

Snags. Drifting the bait this way has been nearly snagless most of the time. By the time the bait comes off and the retrieve begins, the current is going to push the hook up toward the surface.

I hate sinkers and if there is any way I can avoid them I will.

The Fish-N-Fool knot. I love that knot.

5. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Like Pat I fish a E Z Slide with a Team catfish bumper bead on the swivel side and what ever color bead I grab out the tackle box on the rod side, usually 2-6 oz bank or cannon ball sinker in a double snap swivel attahed to the slide, # 1 Brads barrel swivel or 1/0 (american made & buy it in 100 count size package), been running 17 lb mono leader & a 2/0-6/0 GamaKatsu circle or J hook. If i am bobber fishing I use pre made thread bobber stops (can adjust the depth that way) slip bobber w/glowstick attached or the large "Night Bobby" bobber ( can be set as slip bobber or stationary, Walmart carries em) about 1oz -1 1/2 oz slip (egg) sinkers above the barrel swivel typically, 15-20 lb mono leader 8"-12" & 3/0-6/0 Gamakatsu Circle hooks.

6. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I have been experimenting with putting glow beads on my leader above the hook, I tried some orange corkies last year to get the bait off the bottom a bit & it seemed to increase my catch a bit. I have started rigging up some glow bead & glow corkie set ups as well. i am gonna try them out this spring when the cats get real active to see if it helps any at all. I also started putting a small glowstick on the upper side of the doublt snap swivel, mostly out of curiosity to see if it will intice more cat attention not sure if it helps with that but it helps me see wher I am casting my bait to. Cold water seems to kill the glow a bit I have found out this winter. I posted some pics of the set ups I tied up in a thred a month or so ago.

7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Hey Brian I actually read that in an Awesome Catfish book I just got written by Kieth Sutton. One guy actually puts small pieces of rubber "bass worms" he cuts to like 1" in various colors right on his leader line above his hook then baits up with skips, gills, or what have you. Book has a ton of Great Info says catfish have Excellent vision.

8. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Pond fishing for channels, simple Carolina rig; 30# braid 1/2 oz egg sinker, bead,#2 swivel, 30# braid leader, and a 4/0 to 5/0 circle hook. Unless I am using dip bait, then I replace the circle hook with a dip tube and 4/0 team catfish jackhammer hook. River fishing for flats also Carolina rig, just up the braid to 65# ,2oz and up egg sinker, bead ,1/0 swivel, mono leader and 5/0, 6/0 , 8/0 circle hook.
    Also been thinking about adding a glow bead near the bait on my leaders. looking at some glow beads that are small and have a hole in them, they were made to string together for a glow bead necklace, but like most cat fishermen, I can find an alternate cat fishing use for just about everything.

9. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanks for the info Brian, & thanx for the title & author info you posted in your thread, I looked online & got it for $12 + $4.00 shipping, went to Barnes 7 noble & clicked on used/like new & there were 6 retailers offering a new book for almost 1/2 the price. Should get it Sat or Mon, still waiting for Team Catfish hook order to get here, ordered the double action hooks & more slide bumper beads.

10. zirjacks

zirjacks Active Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks for the info! ordered the book from B&N for $8.88 shipped! Can't wait to check it out!