RIGGING YOUR BOW THE RIGHT WAY

Discussion in 'LUKE CLAYTON' started by Whistler, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    RIGGING YOUR BOW THE RIGHT WAY

[​IMG]
    Luke Clayton​

There was a time in the sport of archery when it took months, if not years to become proficient with the bow. Thanks to modern day technologies such as the single cam and space age materials, today’s compound bows are very easy to learn to shoot. It’s pretty common to have a newcomer to the sport to be shooting tight groups at 20 yards within hours of getting his or her new bow set up.

As a member of the Mathews Bows pro staff, I am often quizzed as to the best way to get started in archery. My advice is always something like this: Make sure and have a qualified bow technician set your bow up to your exact specifications. Having the proper draw length is an absolute must but other factors such as string peep location, rest height and draw weight are also key to shooting accurately.

[​IMG]

I am fortunate to be friends with a master bow technician Fay Frigon, who is also a Mathews Pro tournament shooter. Fay shoots competitively with the Mathews Factory Pro Staff and knows all the little tricks that turn an average shooter into a “tack driver”. I have driven sometimes a couple hours to take my new archery rigs to this veteran technician; usually around this time of year when I am setting up the new years model. Fay makes setting up a bow look very simple but his skills were learned through years of practice. My buddy is currently manager of North Texas Archery and Outfitting, located in Farmersville in north Texas. When shop owner Kenneth Tallent decided to open his new bow shop a couple years ago, he was quick to enlist the help of this veteran bow mechanic. Kenneth is a world traveled hunter as well as a fellow Mathews Pro staffer. When I was in the shop recently, getting my new Drenalin set up with Vital Bow gear sight and arrow rest, Fay told me he now regularly has folks travel from as far as Arkansas to have him rig their bows. “Setting up a new bow to fit an individual is not rocket science but it is a learned skill like anything else, the more of it you do, the more proficient you get.” Says Frigon.

I enjoy shooting my bow on an almost daily basis but know very little about the process of actually setting it up. In years past, I usually gave Fay a call and dropped by and paid little attention as he went through the process of getting it rigged and ready for me. On my last visit, I paid close attention as he did everything from serve (tie) the string peep in place to adjust the height of the arrow rest. “Although I enjoy simply shooting my bows for pleasure, the primary reason I shoot so much is to stay tuned for hunting. As an outdoor writer, I pack my bow on everything from airplane cargo bays to the back of pack horses. It’s important that it be set up properly when I leave a bow shop and with Fay doing the work, this is always accomplished. Adjustments to the sights and rests is something that any bow shooter should be able to easily do but the initial set up requires skill and training.

One of the biggest errors many newcomers to archery make, and especially men, make is requesting the poundage on their bows be set too high. “A bow set at 60 or 62 pounds has the power to harvest anything from a 150 pound whitetail buck to an 800 pound bull elk, when shooting the proper arrow and broadhead. Most adult men can pull 70 pounds one or two times but it’s repetition that makes a good bow shooter and 60 pounds is much, much easier to pull than 70. I am always hesitant to set the bows of newcomers to the sport at much over 60 pounds.” Tips Frigon. Fay says the number one fault many beginning archers make is gripping the bow too tightly. “When you really clamp down on the grip of a bow, it’s easy to torque the bow to one side or the other, resulting is a misplaced shot. The bow’s grip should be nestled in the shooters hand, with just enough pressure to keep the bow in place.” He added.

If you’ve been contemplating taking up the sport of archery, whether for the sheer thrill of watching the flight of the arrow strike your intended target of for hunting, there is no better time than now to get started. Once you have your bow set to fit you perfectly, I can guarantee you will be plugging the bulls eye every time at 20 yards in a matter of a few days. After you can consistently shoot tight groups out to 20-25 yards, begin shooting lifesize 3D targets. There is no better practice for the deer hunter than shooting a life size deer target at various distances and angles. Wild hogs are in season year around and they make a very economical “first” game animal for the bow hunter. If you decide to become serious about shooting the bow, give my buddy Fay Frigon a call at 972-784-2237 or go by the shop that’s located in Farmersville at the southeast corner of Hwy 380 and Hwy 78.

LISTEN TO LUKE CLAYTON OUTDOORS at www.catfishradio.com

2. Jerry N Cash

Jerry N Cash New Member

State:
    texas
    I was lucky enough to sit in a field south of Lubbock, Tex this last January with Luke next to me shooting at Sandhills (They are pretty hard to hit with a 40-50 mph wind blowing). We talked a good bit about different hunting. And when we got around to bow hunting I listened to Luke and noted he had a deep feeling about bow hunting. I had been thing about trying it but was worried about paying big bucks for equipment and not getting it set up right then giving up on bow hunting because I could not hit anything or worse getting hurt. I thought more about giving it a try. So I e-mailed Luke. He told me to go to Fay Frigon and talk to him. I did and after spending an afternoon watching him work and listening to him talk to me and other customers I felt confident enough to jump off and have Fay set me up with a new Mathews. Within 3 arrows he had me nailing the bulls eye. I am very happy with the bow and am feeling like can harvest an animal cleanly come this hunting season. If I can get within 25 yards of it.

Thanks Luke for your time and information.

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jerry,
    It was a pleasure hunting with you up near Lubbock this past season. Glad Fay Frigon got your bow all set up. Hopefully, we can hunt together again. Best wishes. Luke