Rigging up for Cat's on the Cape Fear???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by fishhooked, May 14, 2008.

1. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    I haven’t done much river fishing in years and I don’t know that I was doing it right then. I would like to see & hear how you boys are rigging up your gear on the Cape Fear River for Cat’s. I'm using a #4 or #5 circle hook Carolina style with a 1 ½ oz egg sinker and about a 3 foot leader. I’ll take all the help I can get. Thanks Brother "Cat" Fishermen

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I typically use a 6/0 or 8/0 circle hook with about a 1-3ft leader of 50lb test with a 150lb swivel attached to my 30lb main line. I typically use a 4-8oz sinker to keep it in place.

3. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    WOW...4 to 8 oz....... I don't even know where to get ones that big. What is your favorit bait? How many rods do you run?

4. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you use the no roll sinkers you probably won't need 8 oz don't really know where to buy any around the cape fear we make our own. I normally fish live bait with about 6 rods in the water. The same setup as Fatflattie.

5. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Cliu, I can't wait to put a few Cat's in the boat with my little boy. Have a great day.

6. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where are you fishing on the Cape Fear.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They've got up to 4oz no roll sinkers at Reel Bait & Tackle near C. Beach. They also have some 9/0 Gamagatsu hooks:crazy: You can also use some 6 or 8oz bank sinkers they work pretty well and you can get them at Walmart but they are kinda pricey. Catfish Connection is the best place to get some nice catfish gear. They have great prices and they haven't done anything but send me what I order in great condition, in a swift manner.

I usually use 6 rods on my boat (it's crapped out right now) and Britton only uses 4 the majority of the time. 4's all you really need but I like 6:wink:

8. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    it all really depends for me on what size fish im lookin for and what im using for bait , but its hard to go wrong with a 4 oz no roll and a 6/0 hook, and at least a 30 lb leader, that can handle quite a large fish, but i do go up to 50

9. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i agree with fat flattie about catfish connection, they have always done right by me

10. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    I am fishing the Cape Fear River by putting in at the Wilm O Huske Lock. Went this weekend with my 4 year old son. We caught 2 nice Cat’s and limited out on Brim. We had a reel just about spooled before the rod, then the line snapped. Never even turned him. Looks like I need to beef up my gear. LOL

Do ya’ll do well with cut-bait?

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use cut bait almost all the time in the river. I hardly ever use live. We get flatheads and blues along with the occasional channel cat. Flatheads will hit cut fish no matter what anybody says.

12. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Do ya’ll do well with cut-bait?[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']That’s good to know. I saved and froze a bunch of brim from this past fishing trip with my son. How do you think they will work? How do you feel about livers. They seem to work but fall off the hook a lot. What about night crawlers? [/FONT]

13. Cajunkicker

Cajunkicker New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I too like the #8 circle hooks with 3-8oz flat river sinkers. They stay put even in a strong current. I usually use 50-60lb leader to tie my rigs, with a snell knot on the hook and a palomar knot on the swivel, about 18-24" long. Check out this website for a great explanation on fishing knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Frozen bream will work great. I usually just freeze them immediately after bringing them home. If you use them within a week or so they will still have the slime on them and they will work great. Hooked some of the biggest flatheads I had bite last year on cut frozen bream. Liver is something that will work, but a flathead probably isn't going to hit them. However, a blue, a flathead, and a channel cat will hit cut bait. That's why I stopped using liver for the most part. I have never caught a cat down here on nightcrawlers, don't know if it's just me but I just haven't ever got one.

15. Cajunkicker

Cajunkicker New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I forgot to mention earlier I recommend checking laws. Lots of Game Wardens at that location, and one of the things they will look for is cut bream. It is illegal to mutilate bream in any way east of I-95 in NC. You can't even bring in the fish from another location. As long as they are whole without cuts or other altering, it is legal to fish with them.

I use 40-50lb Suffix line or Cajun line on the river, and many times they have proven their worth. The water is not clear, so it isn't important to worry about line color or weight. This frees you up to use a heavier flourescent line (the Cajun line is the Lightning Red, not flourescent) without worrying about spooking the fish, and enabling good visibility at night.

Also, generally speaking, on the Cape Fear, the farther downriver you go, the better the fishing. However, below Locke & Dam 1 it becomes tidal, and changes the dynamic of your fishing strategy. It can be good fishing there though. Great questions. Maybe I'll see you on the water sometime.

16. Cajunkicker

Cajunkicker New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fishhooked,

I have generally seen better hits on flatheads using cut bait, and better hits on blues using eels on the Cape Fear. I usually buy 3 live eels when going out on an over-nighter. One of them I use whole, and using a pair of fishing pliers, I break his back about halfway down the length of his body. This way, he remains alive but doesn't twist the line. Most of the time he stays alive until the following morning when I leave. Flatheads will hit those too. They are extremely resilient. The other 2, I just cut in 1 1/2" - 2" pieces and put on the hook. I keep them alive until I am ready to use them.

The chicken liver thing can work for you if you fish in a slow current, and by taking a small piece and wrapping it in panty-hose, it holds together. Just tie the top of the hose with fishing line, and there you go. It can still release scent without falling apart. It is time-consuming though to tie them however. I find it works for fairly small fish 2-5 lbs, but not much above that. That's just my experience, not necessarily true. I've also substituted deer liver for the chicken with similar results.

I haven't had any luck using nightcrawlers either. I generally just use those to catch my baitfish.

17. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    This is a great web site. I would like to thank everyone for the help. I have a 4 year old little boy that I want to bring up fish and hunting.(and keep him away from drug) All the tips are sure to help us catch more fish. More Fish = More Fun = a little boy that will want to keep going. Thanks Ken