Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm new to this sight and have read lots and lots of great post. Maybe to much info for me to take in. My question is what is the best way to rig while tite lining 3-way or slip sinker? I would also like to try drifting for cats..Whats the best way to rig for this? Do I need to invest in one of those mini board floats? Any help is greatly appreciated . . Thanks Brothers

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Ok I'm new to this sight and have read lots and lots of great post. Maybe to much info for me to take in. My question is what is the best way to rig while tite lining 3-way or slip sinker? I would also like to try drifting for cats..Whats the best way to rig for this? Do I need to invest in one of those mini board floats? Any help is greatly appreciated . . Thanks Brothers
the way i rig with a slip sinker is the slip first then a swilel below the slip with a improved clinch knot (spelling) or a palomar knot then a leader off the swivel 12-18in. long. i also use no rolls but with them i use a bead above the swivel. i dont do alot of drift fishing but im sure yu will get an answer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Robert I use a slip sinker rig when bottom fishing, I always seem to tangle up the 3 way for some reason, I find the slip rigs gives me more flexability. I use a sinker slide I get from U-B-Fishing with a double snap swivel, & bank sinker-sometimes a no roll sinker. Last year I started putting a glow stick on the snap swivel, I get the bobber beacon refill packs & they come with the rubber holders in mutiple sizes, I like to put the little orange one on the snap swivel above my sinker, I can see where I cast & I think it gets the cat's attention. as far as drifting, I do it from shore using a slip bobber set up, It would be just as easy from a boat & you would be able to cover far more water that way.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
welcome!

It depends on the bottom substraight to me if it's a hard bottom I like to use the slip rig style set-up, if it is weedy or mossy or real soft mud I like the three way rigging to keep the bait up where fish can find it easier,for drift fishing I like to use either bottom bouncers or a three way rig with a pencil or other snag resistant sinker that bounces around and off most snags otherwise I would be retying weights all day. the way I drift fish is to drag the sinker across the bottom, I feel this stirs up stuff and makes a food trail to your bait, others suspend their bait just off bottom but our water depth changes too much for that.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I do alot of drifting for Channel Cats during the summer months. I use bloodbait religiously and rely on the weight of the blood to make it to the bottom, without using any other weight. Only time I use weight is when there's wind or rough conditions. Using drift socks to slow the boat and weight to make the bait glide across the bottom. For my setup, I use 2/0 Eagle Claw trebles, tied to 2ft. leader of 30lb. test Cableas Prestige dacron line. loop knot on other end of leader, connected to snap swivel and possibly a small weight above. Blood cut into oblong chunks of 2" thickness and around 6" long, using a small wire, with bent hook in wire on one end to connect to leader, to allow the leader w/ hook to be pulled through the bloodbait.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
the way i rig with a slip sinker is the slip first then a swilel below the slip with a improved clinch knot (spelling) or a palomar knot then a leader off the swivel 12-18in. long. i also use no rolls but with them i use a bead above the swivel. i dont do alot of drift fishing but im sure yu will get an answer.
Ditto for me.Welcome aboard the USCA Robert.:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.