Rigging Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DH84, Apr 7, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    My question is when your fishing in 15-35' of water in a swift moving river with a bottom full of snags what would be your "go-to" rig (hook, leader, and sinker) for avoiding getting hung up?

Im getting a good number of fish but hanging up and losing about 1 in 2 of them... so i need a better rig to snatch fish out of the structure without getting hung up so bad, if possible. Just curious if yall might have something better in mind... im using carolina rigs with teardrop sinkers and 7/0 circles

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Are you only hanging up after you hook up or hanging up on structure all of the time. If you're hooking up with fish then I'd stick to the same rig. You're doing something right there so stick with it. You may need to step up the line size of the leader and your main line. Maybe try 25 to 30 lb test mono or 80 lb test braid main line with a 40 or 50 lb test mono leader line. You may just have to just horse those fish out of the cover or structure before they get you wrapped up.

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib on rigs:big_smile:

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue good job:smile2:

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Is your hook getting hung up, or your sinker? If it's your sinker, and more than likely it is, try using some type of sinker dropper rig with a lighter pound test than your main line. When your sinker gets hung up, you can break the sinker line and still get the rest of your rig back.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have fished the exact type of location and had good success with a three way rig. Tie your sinker (must be large to keep it from drifting into the structure) on about a 12 inch leader with a monofillament that is half that of your primary line. The sinker will be tied on the lower eyelet of the three way swivel. Your hook will be tied to a short leader of about 6 inches. This should be a very heavy mono line, about 25% stronger than your main line. This is so the knot does not weaken the line. The hook is tied to the middle leader. This rig will allow you get into the heavy cover and stay there. When you catch a fish he won't have a large amount of leader to get tangled. If the sinker gets hung up then you will be able to break the line and still get your fish out. Let me know how this works.

7. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Thats not a bad idea, im not sure if its the hook or the sinker so ill try the 3 way with lighter line for the weight and see what happens. My mainline is 50lb braid with 50lb mono leader, i like the idea of shortening the leader too so the fish cant hang it up as bad ill give that a try.

thanks for the help, good info guys

8. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    if you don't want to go with a three way and still want your sinker to come loose i have a suggestion. i usually attatch my sinkers to the main line with a swivel, that way i can change sinkers with out cutting the line and still maintain a sliding sinker. what i ened up doing is putting a 20# splitring on the sinker and attach that to the swivel. that way if i get a fish on and the sinker gets snagged, i can give it a good pull and the split ring will pull out and release the sinker. i haven't had any problems with the split rings failing when i cast, that was my biggest worry. i haven't had any snags since i started using this idea, but it should work, let me know if you give it a try.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    In that situation use the biggest pole and reel you have and get some major lb test line on their. Also rig a breakaway setup for your weight.

10. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Try a disc sinker. They hold bottom well even in heavy current and will slip easily out of snags.A three way swivel rig may work as well.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i agree you can find alot of your information in the library