Rigging live baits for heavy cover...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Shawn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to fish slip sinker rigs with live bluegills when I fish for flatheads in heavy cover. I usually have a 8" leader or so.

I've been thinking about trying some other options, like the weight just barely above the hook, or maybe a 3 way rig or something with the weight below the bait.

What kind of set-ups do you all use out there?????

Shawn

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea same here i use slip sinker rig, but i don't use the leader, I use #40 berkley big game and #35 cortland musky lines. slip sinker rig is great working for me!

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    The closer to log jams i fish the shorter my leader. ill use around 18'' or so in the open down to 6'' or so when i bounce my bait off logs.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had good luck with 2oz bell sinkers in heavy cover areas.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Like the others, I use a short leader, sometimes none at all. If there is a lot of current I'll use a no-roll sinker, otherwise an egg sinker, carolina rigged. I like to use a little heavier sinker than needed to insure it won't move around much, then I try to cast it so that it doesn't make too much noise when it hits the water. I usually try to anchor my boat a short casting distance from the target area, put several lines out at different distances from the boat, with the farthest being as close as I can get to the brushpile.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If I was fishing heavy cover, I will use a slip float rig, or three way rig. But I use those two rigs anywhere.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i just use the same slip rig as always,but in heavy cover though ill shorten the leader to 6in. the most important part is the lead. alot of you know i use old tire wieghts as sinkers. there are 3 reasons for this,first is they are free. second they dont roll,and the third is wieght(3-4 oz wheel wieghts). you really need to keep the bait from swiming and tangeling up. i guess the first reason has another benefit to it. since they are free ill toss them into no return spots,often thats were mr big is laying low.

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use 3 way rigs w/ a 12 inch leader and for sinkers I use old nuts or pyramid weights.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I also go with a shorter leader but I never fish too tight to cover. It just kinda all depends on the size of the bait I am using and current. If you go too short I feel you sacrifice bait action.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like carolin rig with 2oz slip weight. If i can find them i use the big bullet weights, they seem to go through stuff better. I will also use PowerPro 50lb braid for mainline with 20-30lb leader. Short leader8-12" and smaller baits (2-3") this way the baits do not swim as hard or far in the cover.

I only use this rig on my bigger rods so that i can try and break free if i do have a big snag. The other rig i use is three way with 10-15lb weight line. I just tie a small piece of metal or chain link on for this since good chance that it will be broken off.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Old log and log type chain holds well in sand and mud in the current as it tends to bury.Some is soft enough to cut to length with a chisel or large bolt cutters.Some made to stand up to logging in the sandy areas of the country is hardened.Some used on the old drag line buckets and such was hardened.It will often break bolt cutter blades or a chisel and hurt you with the flying metal.This happened to me.Check all unknown chain with a file for hardness before cutting.I once had to pull about 1/4 of my big cold chisel blade out of a coworkers forehead with my channel lock pliers after he borrowed it to cut a chain.It was stuck in the bone and wouldn;t come out with our fingers.I should have left it in.He claimed that he hurt it at home and won a "On the job Accident Free" safety award soon afterward.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

12. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    50' #96 tarred main line, 5- 20" #24 staigen, 5- 2/0 swivels, 5- 9/0 or 10/0 eagle claw 090 SS hooks, one 5lb to 10 lb weight "All to the current". Around 15 to 20 of these lines baited with hand size perch to 2lb mudcats. Now I'm ready for heavy cover and BIG flats!! LOL

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Trimming the live baits tail is a big help around cover.Bait will seek cover at ever opportunity.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have a rig with 80lb stren braid and 110lb single drop leader( 18 in. off the bottom). i use a fairly small hook and bait fish. if the hook gets hung you can straighten it right out. i like to use this from the boat when using the deptfinder i can drop it right in front of them. and thanks to peewee for that safety advice.

15. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I think the most importent thing to remember is it doesn't matter what rig
    you use, in heavy cover your gonna lose stuff...goes with the territory. Good luck.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if the currant is not to bad i use old spark plugs for weights.you can pick them up at any serivice place free.bend the gap shut and tie on a short piece of cotton line to tie to.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We fished one tournament last year and had fish marked in heavy cover. I was using my usual set up of 30 lb. on the main line and 50 lb. for my leaders. I was taught a valuable lesson in that one we hooked fish after fish but were not set up to horse them out of the thick timber. Main thing is to be prepared with heavy line like 80+ lb. braid and a 7000 reel to crank them fast out of the trees.