Rigging live bait

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by pylodictis, Sep 30, 2006.

1. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i started fishing the monongahela last fall. i've enjoyed catching channel cats and carp for the past year, but would really like to get in on the flathead action. i've only caught a few, mostly on worm, the largest being 25inches. but, i know i've found my new obsession.

i've heard that live bait is the key, but i don't know exactly how to rig them. hook size, leaders, weight, single presentation or double? i know this is the place to go for the best answers, so have at it. thanks

2. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the boc Brian. I use kahle style hooks 6/0 to 9/0 depending on bait size. I usually use blu-gills and hook em right behind their dorsal fin. If you have circle hooks go ahead and open the container, then dump them in the river. I personally find them to be garbage. I'm sure you will get many tips from this post. These guys are pretty good flatty chasers.

3. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Im with ya on those darn circle hooks Jason

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Brian - I agree with socex about using the Kahle hooks. I use the rule of thumb that a 5" bait use a 5/0 hook, a 8" bait use a 8/0 hook etc., Live Bluegill, Suckers, Chubs, Bullheads, Perch, Whitebass, Crappie all are excellent bait choices for Flatheads. Don't be afraid to use large bait. I recently caught a 22" Flathead on a 10" Whitebass! Unlike socex I also like circle hooks but they must be fished differently than kahle hooks. If you use the circles, do not set the hook when a bite occurs, let the rod load up and then just start reeling in. I use 20#, 30# and 40# line depending on the circumstance. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions as we have many knowledgable anglers on this site!

5. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Brain I think there are some drawings of some basic hook rigs in the BOC library some were not sure were but some of the other members may know I also use the Kahle hooks size 8/0 to 10/0 depending on bait size I also use flat slip sinkers from 2-6 oz depending on current double hook setups also depends on bait size use the more if fishing with big suckers

6. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Brian,
    if you are fishing for flattys right now, you might want find some deep holes. I usually fish shallow water by dams, but I'm having a hard time catching anything over 6 to 7 pounds right now. I think they might be starting to go to deper holes since the weather turned.

7. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    thanks for all the replies. i'm surprised how much concensus there was among you guys. i have tried using live bait and have even had a little fun catching them. i even caught a 15" smallmouth on 2lb test and a size 18 dry fly hook while trying to pull in some bluegills. looking at the mouths on these flatheads, i have no doubts about their ability to swallow large bait.

thanks again

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    What part of the mon do you fish I fish the mon exclusively. I use 5/0 -10/0 kahle hooks depending on the size of bait.

9. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i mostly fish the southside boat launch at 18th st. that's something else i want to remedy. i don't have too many spots staked out. if you could suggest any other shore spots i'd appreciate it.

10. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Brian I fish the Elizabeth area. I have heard it is pretty good under the Fort Duquense bridge.

11. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    thanks for the tip, mark. i'll try to check it out next weekend.

12. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Brian dont let them b.s. you about circle hooks,kahle hooks are good but circle hooks are better. As far as bait,bigger is better,just know the limitation too big does no good at all. good luck and good fishing.:cool2:

13. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Everyone has an opinion.I love big bait have caught flatheads on 16 inch suckers before.

14. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i normally use live bream on a modified Carolina rig. take a three way swivle, place a bout a 2oz weight on your line and tie the swivel on. then take 50# mono and cut two lengths of about 25" tie one on one side of the open swivle ends and the other to the other. on one line tie either your Khale hook(my fav) or what ever other hook you want and to the other a big treble hook. take your bait and put your main hook up by his head(i do mine threw the eye) and take the treble and put it down by his tail. this way if the fish hits his head he gets your Khale and if he hits the tail he gets the treble. hope this helped

15. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    sounds interesting, thanks

16. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I use 6/0-7/0 circle hooks and they hook up just fine and I actually prefer them. Everyone has a different style and you can tell by looking at a local tackle shop or Cabelas.

If there is one perfect setup out there for each fish, Cabelas would be mighty small.

17. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    good point about the various methods. if they didn't work, they wouldn't be around. survival of the fittest. guys who suggested different rigs have all posted pictures of the same big, ugly fish, so i guess nobody's wrong. i'd have to try using a baseball bat or roofing nails if it really worked for someone else. that's the test, right?

thanks everyone.

18. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    the bigger the bait,the longer the wait,the bigger the rewards.good luck.

19. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey socex that pic of you holding that flatty, he looks familiar u must be fishing the ohio river, i think i caught that fish bout a week ago.

20. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey mister socex are you fishing from a boat, an are you fishing at night or thru the day