Rigging for stumps

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by TexasTerry, May 30, 2008.

1. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    What kinda rig do ya'll use when fishing around stumps?

2. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have been trying a float and a shad head no weight usually catch somethin', but if there is some other way I sure wouldn't mind some advise! Lord knows that I need it!! LOL!!:big_smile:

3. Texas Trapper

Texas Trapper New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Power Pro 65lb. line, a cedar float with line-stop, 1/2oz egg sinker, swivel, 50lb leader, and No. 2 treble hook, baited with Bill Rogers bait. Since 90% of my fishing is in brush and stumps this is what I came up with. If I get hung up, I can streighen the hook most of the time. A word of caution if you use Power Pro, be sure to keep good leather glove in boat as this stuff will cut you like a knife.:big_smile:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Obviously, you avoid making long casts through a bunch of snags or standing timber; try to ease up on your spot and make short casts to it. Use a circle hook. Period. A circle hook will hang up much much less often than other types of hooks. Anybody who doubts this can run a simple test: Tie a circle hook on a piece of scrap line, then tie on the other type of hook onto a second piece of scrap line. Close your fist gently around the circle hook and pull it out with the line; then try the same thing with the alternate type of hook. Use a long slender sinker. Check the library for making various types, such as flexible sinkers made from weights inside plastic tubing. This type of sinker will hang up less often; nevertheless, it's a good idea to attach it with relatively light line that will break easily if it hangs up.

5. skip

skip New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use 50 lb. power pro, a float and a #4 treble hook. I use Shur shot.