Rigging for river fishing.

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by goingfishin, Sep 20, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Can anyonetell me how they rig their pole on the river. I have heard that you want a three way swivel with your weighton the bottom. Is this true?
    Thanks CJ

2. mbodner

mbodner New Member

State:
    kansas
    that is a good rig to use in any current,i use 30lb test with a three way and 6-8 inches of 60lb leader with a 7/0 circle and about 32in of 17lb test on my wait line with a 6 or 8 oz bank sinker depeding on the current.hope that helps.

3. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    40Lb Test Line with a slip sinker rig. A Bead. We use Flat 10 OZ Sinkers. A Large Snap Swivel on the main Line. A Barrel Swivel, 50 or 60 Lb Leader (2 Ft) and a 8/0 Gamagatzu Circle Hook.

Three ways will work but it just gives you another line to snag in structure. You will loose rigs no matter what but if you hook into a large fish, without that second line with a heavy sinker on it flying around, you have a better chance of landing your fish.

With a three way you have five knots. With my rig you have 3 knots. Less likely to fail.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use a Carolina Rig most of the time. If I fish river I will use no roll sinker with appropriate weight to keep it put. The river I fish is mud or sand bottom.

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    CJ, I fish with a pair of Ugly Stick Tigers MH with a Penn 320LD on one and an Okuma on the other, 30# Hi Vis Big Game..........flathead rigs. For "playing" around with channels I use the same tackle as on the lake.......Ugly Cats and 6500 sized reels loaded with 20#.

I boat fish and like to position myself about 20 yards above whatever my target is. With current flows you can keep a big perch on the bottom with a 3oz. no-roll, as current increases the weight will go up.........been up to 8 oz. I rig everything Carolina and use a 40# clear leader. Leader is adjusted to amount of snags.............about 8" when casting tight to cover and up to 3' on an open bottom.

I don't like circles for flatheads, but that's really personal preference.............just use something stout enough for what you "might" catch!!

For channels I just use a 1 oz. weight and whatever bait I feel like using. Fast water and good drop-offs can stack up decent #'s of cat's.

Not much water in the Kaw right now, be ready to polish your prop if you want to travel very far. Like night fishing the best but it's a pain when it's this low.................can be worth it though as there usually isn't anyone else around to irritate me:crazy:

6. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks everyone for the help!!!!!!!