Rigging for HEAVY cover

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Apr 26, 2009.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I just found me a new spot on the river I fish that holds lots of cats, only problem is that when you hook one theres a good chance that he'll get tangled and hung in cover. I'm familar with 3-way sinker sacrificer rigs for fishing riprap but this is a different monster. Anyone care to share a rig that can minimize this problem. Also there is current at this spot and not much "moving around on the bank room" so I doubt a float rig is going to be practical seein how it will quickly blow out of range.

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    .....try placing a 3" peg float on your leader about 6" above your hook. It should help when reeling your bait back in from getting hung up.....probably won't help much once you get a fish on.........all i can say is get that rod tip high and get him off the bottom as quickly as possible.....

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Yep. And PRAY!! lol

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    One thing to remember is the less terminal tackle, the less chance of hanging up. Stout poles and heavy line, obviously. NO drag. Texas rigging cut bait is best. With live bait use very short leaders; 5 to inches, and very heavy weights. You can't afford to have the bait moving around. I would also recommend leaders made of flurocarbon. It is very abrasion resistant. If you are up to it learn to tie the Bimini Twist. You can double your leader, and if one strand breaks, the other will still hold. When I use the double leader I push the loop through the eye and the do a standard snell knot with the double line.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    use 100 lb. power pro, tighten down your drags and horse them out of the cover.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    when fishing thick cover like that dont use any sinkers,or any weight at all,just your hook and bait and strong line to horse it out with.The less thats on your line the less thats on there that can hang you up.Works for me.

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    When i flathead fish in heavy cover. I use no leader. Just a bead and weight above the hook.
    If I get hooked up and he has me wrapped up-I lower the rod a bit and try to give him room to move or swim out so i can find an opening to reel him out. Sometimes it will work.

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have hooked some good fish at pickwick in the current at the damn when i start fighting them in some times they will head for a bolder and thats it .i tryed waiting them out with no luck i tryed fighting them out nope didnt work .so i thought maybe i should just stay out of the heavy cover :sad2:

9. Richmond River Rat

Richmond River Rat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    a buddy of mine buys earplugs lol and sticks em on the end of his hook to loose the point. he says it dont make a difference when you set the hook just keeps it outta weeds

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    There ya go.......

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I fish a lot of heavy cover spots too.Heres 1 rig that works pretty good for me. I use the 4,5,&6oz crescent shaped trolling sinkers,I don,t use any beaded chain,only a good swivel on one end.I use a short leader-3 inch.I rig it up as a sliding rig.I use 60# mono for the leader,the only reason I use any leader is so I can break off when i occasionaly do get hung.I agree with the others on getting them moving toward you IMMEDIATLY.I use 100# braid and a 7ft boat rod(ugly-stik)rated for 60-80# line.Because of their banana shape these sinkers come through trees & stuff amazingly well.If the snags are really sharp,I,ll ditch the leader altogether and rig the sinker up as a slider on the steel leaders i make up myself-about 2 ft long. It takes them a while to saw through some 90# wire.Also when I,m fishing spots like that I,ll take my clicker off & hold my pole in my hands as soon as I notice my bait getting nervous or the slightest nibble.That way they don,t get that first couple feet on me.Keep that drag locked & put the ole back into it.:eek:oooh::big_smile:

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    The spot I have been fishing has practically every kind of snag imaginable... riprap, trees, broken revetment slabs and even metal cables. To make it worse at times the current will pick up fiercely. The other day I tried a rig that someone suggested (but not on this thread). I tried using a 2 ft. dropper with 12 lb. Line and short 4-6 inch hook leader of 60 lb mono tied to hooks that ranged from 1/0 to 8/0. 9 times out of 10 the sinker would not come back and probally 50% of the time I'd get the hook back. At the end of the day I think I lost between
    8 -12, 8 oz. sinkers and caught 1 small Flathead. Throughout the day I had many bites but hookups were obviously very rare. That does'nt seem to make for a good day.
    I'm not in a big hurry to get back to this spot but when I do I'll try some of the tips shared and let y'all know how it goes.
    Thanks for sharing!

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

You didn,t mention what kind of rod your using.Are you using enough to yank em out of them snags?

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I typically use 3 rods when fishing. First rod is a heavy action Ocean Master 12 ft. Surf Rod. Second rod a 12 ft. Cat Claw Listed as heavy but has a fast action tip. 3rd rod a medium/heavy 7" Glowstick.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

You got PLENTY of rod brother.:tounge_out:

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think that this is a situation where you definitely need to set the drag while still on shore, and then DON'T touch it. Especially in heavy cover, I like to use line heavier than either the rod or I can handle, then set the drag so that the rod won't break, and I don't get the rod pulled out of my hands. The heavier line means it can take more abrasion before breaking.