rigging for blues m

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 3, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how much line do, i need on an abue 6500, ,i mean i fish smaller rivers and lakes for flatheads, but ill be fishing for blues, how much test, weght, , how far of the bank, got screwd down by alton last year, any info, i got some long rods, ive just never been able to go to fish for blues that much, long drive from central il, so i wanna be rigged right, you know what i mean, why spend all the money to be out all day and night with a wrong setup, i got peen reels but them wont cast far, ihear 6500 abues, is this good, any tips , like i say a blues and flats is like baseball to football, any tips, im thinking of hiring a guid, if its worth it , li

2. Dunnica

Dunnica New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not quite sure how big the fish are running where you are at, but suffice it to say, if you're fishing for blues they can get pretty big...

Considering that we do a lot of jug fishing and the staging doesn't seem to bother the fish, I would suggest going with a heavy enough line to prevent easy break off's...but not hamper casting....

If the area you are fishing is relatively free of snags 15lb big game will allow you to cast farther than heavier line...

If you're worried about snags the heavier lines will suffice, but I never go heavier than 20lb test mainline, with maybe a 40-50lb test shock leader..

As far as the 6500 reel goes, they're pretty much bullet proof, and with the drag set right you can get the biggest of fish in with some patience..

If the bank drops off quickly where you're at it's not as important to cast very far...We generally rig the baits under some sort of float between 3' & 6' deep....Doesn't matter how deep the water is, blues will run the water column...Try different depths from bottom to top and if one particular depth keeps catching fish then adjust your other rigs to suit...

If you have numerous rigs out...a circle hook will help a fish to hook himself in case you don't get to it in time...

As far as a guide goes, it's never a bad idea to get all the knowledge you can from someone that knows the water better than you and I could because they do it for a living....Day in and day out...If you get a good impression over the phone and if feels right then schedule a trip with one...The information you could learn could be priceless

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish were the chain of rocks mets the missisipie louis and clark, so blues will come shallow?,i use king kaels, i just want one 30 or 40 pounder

4. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im from centr. ill, and i go 2 smithland kentucky 5 times a year. i use 2 6500s witch took about 300 too 325 yards of 80lb cortland braid line. as for weight, depends on the curant, normaly i use atleast a 4oz or more.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats a nice fish man, ive got to get some new line and a few more rods forthem blues, but im headin to alton hopfuly soon,