Rigging bluegill bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Phatdaddy, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    well since i've made myself one of those "sams bluegill trap" from the library, was wondering how you guys like to hook/rig the bait? I mostly fish the Ohio from the bank.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I normally hook em just in front of the dorsal fin as cats tend to swallow them headfirst.Just dont hook them thru the spine or the will be paralyzed.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Does it matter to you if it is flatheads, channels, or blues?
    You wanting a mess under 10 pounds or the big boys?

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I hook mine in the tail. Some do through the top part behind the dorsal fin and some do behind the anal fin (heard it called that, don't know if its the correct term though.) I've done both and both seem to work just fine. It's just personal preference really. Hope this post is of some use to ya.

-Red

5. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    in the tail and behind the dorsil fin would be the best place to hook them to me that way the blue gill swims around like a wounded fish and gives of more vibrations this way.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think it would depend on how much current there is at the time. If you hook in the tail it will drown pretty quick in heavy current. Hooked in the back will let it swim a little more.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can rig them in the middle.

8. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    be careful using fish traps in ohio

bluegill can only be used for bait in Ohio if caught legally by hook. Not trying to be a prick or anything just don't want anyone getting in trouble.

9. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    There's not a great population of bluegill in the ohio anyways, either that or they're hard to catch. You'd be better off setting your trap in a pond.

10. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanx for the heads up Bill, no wonder i've never seen one before i joined here...lol... Sure dont wanna go breakin the law. Think i'll try to cut it down and revamp it to make a creek chub trap. You probably saved me a great deal of money and time as everyone here in wayne county always gets max sentenance/fines. you never get a warning or break. thanks again.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hook gills upside down in light current, it makes em struggle more to get right side up. on the downside though, it wears them out sooner. it all depends how often you change baits. i change livebaits every 45 minutes, so it never really mattered.