rigging and bait question for NC lakes

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gasman81, Jan 4, 2009.

1. gasman81

gasman81 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey all,

what is the more useful rigging and bait type for catfish in the lakes of nc ive tried the gulp and berkley power bait plus some dough balls but only have caught cats on live worms...im still new to catfishing..
    thanks
    gasman

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    What kind of cat's are ya going for?

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    fresh bait here is how i rig 30 lb main line 2-8 ounces lead and a fresh chunk of bloody fish i also u a 8\0 circle hook rigged carolina style

4. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Cut gizzard shad, white perch, and bluegill. That should be a good start. Good luck.

5. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Andrew welcome to the BOC.
    Here in the small lake I fish channel cats on the only catfish stocked there. The #1 bait there is FRESH chicken livers or dip baits.:smile2:

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    catfish are strange fish what will work one day may not work another, we hear this on many posts. but a willingness to explore the possibility of what your water holds as bait may make the difference of watching the tip of your rod and landing that personal best. The lake i fish have a good population of bait fish, shad, brim, white perch, ect. If one of these fish does not work i may want to change up or use a combo of these baits. I do mostly drift fishing so i use a carolina rig with a drift weight. when i anchor down i use a slip sinker on the carolina rig and put our a slip bobber keeping the bait up off the bottom in trying to get suspended cats.

7. rahughes

rahughes New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cut shad works well, if thats not working always have livers or hearts and some stink bait on hand you never know.

8. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the BOC:wink:

9. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    going to have to agree with bluecatnut! those never fail!! if you are going for channels, try chicken livers.. prefer to use shad though

10. jstutz

jstutz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My buddies and i have been trying to figure cats out for a while now. i believe i have probably read every article on the internet. some of the most useful information that i came across is this. Channels are opportunistic eaters. They eat a large range of baits including hotdogs, shrimp, shad, prepaired baits, worms. The most useful baits so far that we have used has been, power bait, chicken livers, shrimp. Most fish that we are catching are pretty small ie less than three pounds. if you are targeting large fish i think cut bait is your best option. from what i understand around here shad or minnows are very good baits. My suggestions in this order would be. 1 take some time and do some research on the lake you are going to fish. being winter i believe finding the fish is most important as they are not forraging as much as in warmer waters. 2. Take a variety of baits with you everytime you go. it was mentioned earlier that what works today may not work tomorow. I think most people believe this to be true so just take as much bait as you can. 3. Try to find people that fish your lake and get some pointers from them. There are alot of people that fish a lot and have some great advice. 4. Be patient because some days just slow fishing days. Best of luck

11. Topper

Topper New Member

State:
    NC
    I'da sent you a PM but I don't have enough posts yet. You wouldn't be the son of Karen W. and the late Russell W. would you. I noticed where you live and where you fish and knew they had a boy named Jason. I'm Neil Smith. Ring a bell?

12. jstutz

jstutz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nope im not that jason, i moved here from PA about 10 yrs ago.

13. Topper

Topper New Member

State:
    NC
    ...and tight lines to you, fisherman.