Rigging Advice

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Circlehook Jester, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok guys. Here is one for you. When fishing the river, and using cut bait or live, how do you rig your sinkers? I use flat no roll sinkers a lot, and seem to not snag as much. But, I have heard from many river rats the 3 way swivel, utilizing the two leaders of different lengths works awful good due to it raising the bait of the bottom a little, making it more visible. My question with this comes from me using the 3 way swivel rig, but anytime I am in current, it seems as if my bait line gets twisted around the sinker leader ALOT. (At least when I reel it up to the boat) Am I doing something wrong here, or is this just a normal occurence when fishing current? Any and all responses appreciated. :confused2::eek:oooh::big_smile:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think that when its in the water you are okay. It twists when you are reeling it in.

3. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I know I've said this before but I'm a firm believer in it. I tie my weight to the end of the line with my hook a foot up then a light bobber a foot above that. I dont usually get snagged up the bait stays of the bottom. Its just a little awkward till you get used to casting it.:big_smile:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    stick to your no-roll setup :wink:

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    if you have problem with baut twisting in leader what i would first either shorting my leader line or use a barrel swivle like a carolina and tie my drop line in the same eye hole as my main line a i have done that before and yes it does works

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Not sure this will help but it will give you another perspective on alternative methods of rigging that are being used. I mostly fish the lower Potomac River. Current flow on a normal tide is acouple Knots top. enough to lift your bait and 4oz weight 8 feet off the bottom when the tide is at full flow. Here is what I do to eliminate leader twist. 1st my rig is simple 30# mono, (I should mention this rig is for blues but I use the same rig for Channels just lighter # line and weights) 50# mono leader 20 to 24" Leader, equipped with a 100# barrel swivel and a 9/0 Circle hook. The main line I use a sinker slide with a 4 to 6 oz teardrop sinker and a 1oo# snap swivel. I attach the barrel swivel on the leader to the spap swivel on the main line.This gives me double the freedom to spin and not kink. Also I pay particular attention to how I cut my bait and attach it to the hook. If you cut it,.. (In this case Gizzard Shad) in chunks with a bit of a taper an d hook it in the skinny corner of the bait it will help reduce drag on the bait and give you less spinn. Another great reason for the snap swivel on the main line is once you have a good fish in the net all you have to do is while he's still in the water is to un hook the leader and this will free the rod up and out of the way. Hope that helps in some way. Good luck and good fishing

7. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Great advice Vince.

8. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys thanks for the help. I have had issues with this from time to time and always wanted to ask the question. I love fishing the river, so any and all tactics I will try! thanks again.:big_smile::smile2: