Rigging a kayack with an anchor?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by delawareriver, Mar 13, 2006.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i would like to rig my kayack with an anchor so then i could use it for cats more often. i looked it up on the internet but i didnt really understand the one i found. any one ever do it before?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I saw a cheap " Anchor Pulley" off the bow of one.He had it on a narrow,waterproofed board cut from plywood for strength.The top of the Kayak was samwiched between a inner and the outer board to spread the stress over a wide area.The coil of rope was held by bungee cords right in front of the cockpit.The "Anchor Pulley" that I am talking about was bought at Walmart.It has a device that allows you to hold,let out and release your anchor.He told me that he had tried just using a anchor and rope,but it pulled sideways.He also had a swivel snap on his anchor rope.He wanted to be able to use it to tie up to snags and limbs at times.He was on the way to trying it out to see how it works. He was a complete stranger in a Walmart parking lot.The kayaks were on a rack on a pickup truck.He was watching the gear in the back of the truck while his buddy was picking up some things.I was walking by and saw the strange object on the bow.I asked about it.He let the tailgate of the truck down,so we could stand up on it and look,while he explained it.I never saw it or him again.That was years ago.I have seen a few of the "Anchor pulleys" on small boats since then.Cabelas has a section of Kayak accessories where you may get some ideas.Best of luck to you

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    thank you very much. you can see its pretty hard to explain over the internet.

i remeber now theres a new kayack store that just opened by me so ill take a look over there

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I had a kayack and I do'nt know if I would put an anchor on one, they are a little unstable when pulling up anchor I would think. At least ask at the kayack store and tell them what kind of water you are going to be fishing in.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I often wondered.Wouldn;t it be better to have the anchor on the stern or back of a kayak?When I anchor,I fish downstream as a rule.I have never been in a kayak and the only anchor I ever saw was on the front.I didn;t think much of it when I tried it with my canoe.Due to the shape,I would think that you would have to be VERY careful to keep from being pulled under,if you had much of a current or a large wave.Could it stand You up like a cork on a line?I think that I would want some type of emergency release.I think that there are very real dangers that needs to be addresed every time any one anchors any vessal anywhere.It is not just current or waves.A run a way barge with towboat and a drunk looking back while pulling another drunk on a tube have nearly run me down in a favorate fishing spot.I was anchored in less than 2 feet of water,against the bank,and casting out in the river.The river is narrow,swift and has a sharp bend at this location.It is a very bad place to anchor due to fast boats with drunks at the controls.I gave it up.I should never have anchored there to start with.peewee-williams

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good point PeeWee, he needs to get all the info he can, could be very dangerous at certain times.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Louis,

I do a lot of fishing from my kayak. I got a little grappling anchor from Cabela’s. It’s about 3 pounds and the flukes fold up. When folded, the anchor is about 4” in diameter and 10-12” long. Small, lightweight, and holds the kayak in place very well. When I’m fishing from the kayak I like to have the ability to anchor up or downstream of structure to fish it. But, if I tie the anchor off to the front or back of the kayak, I’m limited with the direction I can fish. To solve this I tied a piece of rope from the front of the kayak to the back – call it the “run”. Then, I tie-off the anchor with an appropriate amount of rope (~15 feet for me) to a carabiner. I clip the carabiner to the “run” and keep the extra length (tag end) of anchor rope in my lap. With the anchor clipped to the “run” it slides to the automatically to the front or back of the kayak and anchors from that point. So, if I want to anchor upstream of a logjam, I drop the anchor, it slides along the “run” to the back of the kayak and anchors me facing downstream so I can fish the logjam. If I want to fish the downstream side of the logjam, I anchor below it, the anchor slides along the “run” and anchors from the front of the kayak and faces me upstream. When I want to pull in the anchor to move, I simply pull the tag end of the anchor rope in until I can grab the carabiner and the main anchor line and pull up the anchor.

Attached Files:

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
  9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    thank you helps tremendesly,

yes it can be dangerous when in faster water but with the right system as explain it can be very usefull and very helpfull. you would surprised how sturdy a kyack can be, i can even stand up in my with some good balencing. its very hard to fish on structure when u have a paddleing going across you lap and a rod in your other hand and your tyring to stay upstream so you can cast. i might being going out to cabelas in a wek or so ill check into their systems out there.

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    One more note. Always carry a fixed blade knife that is attached within easy reach on your PFD. You need to be able to cut the anchor line in a hurry in the event of an emergency.

/Scott

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    thanks! i had alread thought about that but now i deffinitly wont forget.