Rigging a catfish pole

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JEEPER, Mar 28, 2009.

1. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Guys
    I am new on here and I live on Oologah lake and have done so for 14 years but never catfished with a pole before. Growing up I have set trotline and love to limbline so I know a bit about that but need help on rigging up my pole. I will try my best to word this as ez as I can and not make it so long but I have alot to ask.
    River Fishing for Cats
    1. Line on my reel-- What brand, type, test?
    2. What size swivel?
    3. What size sinker?
    4. What brand, type, test for my lead?
    5. How long dose a lead need to be?
    6. What size hooks and brands are good?
    Lake fishing for Cats
    1. Same qustions as above?
    2. Would someone go into type of places on the lake to fish as far as winter time fish these types and this deep spring time, summer time, dog days.
    3. What baits are good for blues and channel cats do you like.
    Below The Dam
    1. Same as above
    2. Is there a better way to rig a pole than string to top of swivel, bottom of swivel lead to hook and lead from top of swivel with sinker.
    3. Types of bates you like below the dam.
    Sorry for asking so much but am really new at this catfishing with a pole and I have a young son dieing for me to take him catfishing and help would be of great help and I Thank you all.
    Thanks guys it's great to have found this website.
    P.S. I have a boat if that help on place to get in diff. seasons on the Lake and River
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. There are members that are around where you live. Maybe one of them will get with you and show you what you want. There are a lot of ways to rig for catfishing. Its hard for me to tell some one how, it is easier to show them.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC.

1. Line on my reel-- What brand, type, test? If fishing below a dam I would go with a braid (power pro) and in the 65 pound range or bigger , those oklahoma cats get huge .

2. What size swivel? If you are going to use a swivel , make sure its strong enough to hold a big cat . Personally I would ditch the swivel .

3. What size sinker? Again if below a dam and the current is strong . It should be big enough to hold the bait down and a no roll would be best I think .

4. What brand, type, test for my lead? You mean leader ? I would buy a spool of strong line and make my own without the snaps , thats way you dont take the chance on it opening on a good fighting cat .

5. How long does a lead need to be? Again do you mean leader ? If the bottom is rocky or full of vegitation I would go long enough to keep the bait out of it . 16 to 24 inches set up as a carolina rig .

6. What size hooks and brands are good? I would go with a hook big enough for the size bait you are using , making sure not to over bait if using cut bait . Make sure there is enough hook for the bait and the ability to hook the fish .

Lake fishing for Cats

1. Same qustions as above? Same answers as above , only differece would be the amount of weight you would need .

2. Would someone go into type of places on the lake to fish as far as winter time fish these types and this deep spring time, summer time, dog days. I only fish from spring to fall so im affraid I cant give a tip on winter time cats . As for the other seasons if boat fishing I would look for drop offs and cover like log jams also find holes deep or shallow and fish around them .

3. What baits are good for blues and channel cats do you like. For blues my best luck is bluegill heads , also can use cut baits , shad , skip jack , bluegill , etc. heads and cut . For channels the range of bait is endless , stinkbaits would be a go to bait for me when fishing for channels

Hope this helps in some way for you . There are alot of others on here that can help answer some of these questions a little better then me . Im sure they will post some valuable answers for you . If you search the site and read all you can . You will get great information on all types of catfishing tips in lakes and rivers .

4. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey thanks for the info. it did help me out. I was mostly looking for brand type and test to put on the reel.
    I do need to ask you something. I seen a video of a guy that guild that catfishes on the lakes and rivers around here and I was going to set up my pole like his. It started with string on reel and then looks likea sinker is put on and slides up and down the string but then has a small ball on it that stops it from hitting the swivel. At the bottom end of the swivel is a diff. looking type of string and then the hook. I was wanting to know about this set up on whats it called and that is where I was looking for info on the string on the reel, the sinker size, swivel size, the leader (it looks like just diff. string that he tied to bottom side of the swivel) and size and brand of hook.
    Sorry for such long notes
    Thanks guys

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    here`s what i use on kerr,20 to 30lb. test i buy mine at wall-mart, i tie right on the hook(EAGLE CLAW 7/0 to 10/0 khale) for sinker we use a 2oz egg sinker(we pour our own) amabassaduer 6000 reel mounted on a 8ft. meat hunter rod, for bait we use shad and sometimes skipjack. we anchor out and fish on a time clock. in the dead of winter fish deep water,fish are moving in to shallow water now and will remain so until the dog days then they will move to the thermocline looking for oxygen, good luck!

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    welcome to B.O.C. Mike! i`m looking forward to seeing your postings!

7. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Welcome to BOC. Wish you luck!

8. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Mr. Armstong and Rigrunner236 thanks for the help and it is great to be on here. I think once I get started then I will not ask so much or it will be shorter.
    Thanks and I hope you guy have good luck fishing.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You can not learn to much , all of us get great information on here , and we all learn something from this great site , but the best teacher of all is going out and doing it . Trying different things in different bodies of water . All the fish are different in some way in each spot . Once you learn the basics of it all . Then you learn all the tricks to the rest of it as you chase those whiskers .

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You have recieved some good answers to your questions. Check out the BOC library for additional info.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use 25 to 30 lb. mono (big game). Enough weight to hold it in
    place but no more than I have to.( depending on the current )
    3/0 to 6/0 hook depending on bait. Barrel swivel 85 to 100 lb.
    breaking strength. Plastic bead to cover my knot protecting
    my knot from the weight. 40 lb. mono leader between swivel
    and hook. Sometimes I use a small float 6 " back from my
    hook to keep my bait off the bottom. Really its a version of
    the carolina rig.

12. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    For lakes, I mainly use three types of rigs. For anchored or bank fishing, I'll slip a large snap swivel on the mainline, a bead and then tie the hook to the end of the mainline. I then snap on the appropriate sized sinker to the snap swivel. This lets the fish take the bait without feeling the weight of the sinker and it keeps the sinker from rubbing directly against the line. It's a quick rig to tie. For drifting, I'll tie about a 16"-24" dropper with a sinker on one end and a swivel on the other. Then slide it on the mainline and add a bead. Next, tie a swivel at the end of the mainline. Then, tie your hook to another dropper, from 6-12" long and tie to the swivel at the end of the mainline. I like this rig because it works in most fishing situations. From drifting to bank fishing. I sometimes also tie a hook directly to my mainline, and then tie on a dropper with a special knot (that I could no way describe) that you can slide if you need to. I prefer monofilament. I like berkley big game in 20-30 lb test. I like to use a Gamakatsu 10/O hook for larger baits and a 6/0 Mustad Big Gun or Gamakatsu Octopus hook for smaller baits. I don't do a lot of heavy current fishing, but these set-ups work great for me in lakes and medium current. Happy fishing!

13. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks for the info. it is helping me and giving me some understanding with a few ideas. Keep them coming
    Hey lets say I put braided line (oh around 65 test) on my reel) to the swivel and above the swivel have my beed and a sliding sinker then what pound test and type of string would you tie to the bottom part of the swivel and then to the hook. And why would you do that?