Rigged for big gar.

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by gadzooks, Aug 27, 2007.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Thought some may want to see a picture of one way to rig for big gar. Pictured is the bait, hook, line, and rod/reel. Best bait for gator gar, the target species, is the head of a carp, buffalo fish, drum (gasper goo for some of us), or other non-game fish (in Texas, game fish cannot be used for bait). The rod is a Shakespeare Ugly Stick 1120 Big Water, reel a Penn 209. The reel is loaded with 300 yards of braided line, 65 lb test. That big treble is an 8/0, needed for the size of the bait. A steel leader in the 100+ lb test range 4 ft long is used with a shock leader of 80 lb or higher test mono, 10 ft long. Either a doubled shock leader or one of 200 lb or better test helps, gator gar and large longnose fray the line with their bodies, causing it to snap at inopportune times. The shock leader is used not so much because big gar jolt the line when they hit, but to avoid having the braided line frayed or damaged by the gar's hard plate. No weight is used or needed. Sometimes, particularly if the bite is light, a big float may be used as a strike indicator. On Texas rivers, us poor boys who cannot afford a power boat or prefer not to own one use canoes and kayaks to ferry the bait out to the middle of the river, the leader and shock leader make casting too difficult. This rig has taken gar well over 100lbs. Its not the only way to rig, just one that works.

Attached Files:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Man they monster bait. U is going to catch a 200lb monster. :smile2:

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    thats some big bait...

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Yep, big bait, big gar. My buddy who has developed the rigging we used caught a 180 lb gar you can see elsewhere here. Several at and just over 100 lbs have been caught, though my largest so far is about 15 lbs. He's 7 miles from the river, I'm 150. More time to fish means more chance to catch a big one. Think like a gar, do you want a snack or a meal?:smile2:

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks a lot man I'm planning on trying for them this weekend at Old River, its even the place where the record Louisiana Gator Gar was caught on R/R!! 200 somethin pounds!!

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Just give the big gator gar its due. Respect it, catch it, photograph and release it. Those things take decades to get that big.

7. natethegreat

natethegreat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive been wondering how to rig for gator gar thanks