Rig questions

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by pr1mo5, Oct 5, 2009.

1. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Just curious I use a 3 way swivel rig no matter if im fishing a lake or river. What does everyone like to rig there poles up with???
    Witch way do you rig what size weights and what size hooks for using cutbait and live gills?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Matthew,
    The 3-way is a pretty good set-up.. If you use properly # rated components.. swivels,3-ways, snaps etc..
    I'd recommend light line for the weightline,, 10-12# so, it can break off easily when a fish is on, and the weight has become hung up....Weight size is somewhat dependent on size of live bait, current , reel,etc..
    If you're targeting Flatcats,, a 7/0-10/0 hook should work very well,,I like Kahles myself..Try and size the hook to the bait,, always leave a lot of hook exposed..
    I've been using 50# Mono, on my rigs, and,, it may go higher, for the added abrasion resistance.

Look in the library section,, on rigs, etc,, lots of info there.. I use a modified Paternoster,, and it works well for me..
    IE... I tie my hook directly to my mainline.. come up from that and I use 2 pinch weights about 12-18" from the hook.. Then I have pretied weights with 12-24" light mono tied to a snap swivel,, snap the swivel over the line, and the mainline can play through the eye of the swivel,,,,
    I cast out, leave the reel in freespool, turn on the clicker, and keep the line snugged..
    G

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I usullly only use the three way rig in the river, or when I can drop the bait strait into the water and let the current carry it. Lighter line for sure on the weight, so you can break it off if you have too, while saving your hook.
    Lots of times I will carolina rig for lakes, but I will put a split shot two inches above the weight, That way when you cast, your weight wont be 25 feet from your bait. Or i will tie the rig up with out weight, and just loop a weight on above the swivel, so i can take it off and on. Hooks are either gamas 10/0 or lately I have been infatuated with the Owner SSW 10/0s with the cutting edge, not needle points, damn they are super sharp. Weights usually a 3 oz to hold gill/carp, in a lake, or 8-10 in that super fast current we fish in.

4. manofewords

manofewords New Member

State:
    arizona
    This man knows his stuff. Another trick I have used is tie your weight on with a strong rubber band. I have also used wheel weights and spark plugs for flats if you have a friend that is a mechanic you have a steady supply.:big_smile:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Great info here thanks guys for the input.

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use a diffrent arangment tie the hook with a palomar leaving long tag line then a dropperloop with the hook 4" to 8" inches at the end of the loop and 12" to 16" tag tie the weight on the tag line use whatever knot or use pinch weights so the weight can come off if snagged.:wink:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Dave, you're gonna have to show me that one,,,,:wink: