Rig Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Wallbass, May 25, 2008.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How many of you put a three way swivel on then a 6" leader and Circle Hook then put on the third eye a 12-16" lower # test with a sinker. so when it is on bottom the bait is off the bottom a little. Jeff :smile2:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I rig in a similiar fashion Jeff although a "tad" bit different.

I tie my 80 Pound Power Pro directly to the three way. I then have a 12 inch drop mono line (30 pound test) with a snap swivel on one end, and I tie a fixed loop at the other end. This way, I can change out weights very quickly when conditions/current dictate a change in weight. On my 3rd eyelet, I have 60 pound Ande Monofilament going to my 10 ott Gamakatsu J Hooks. I make my hook segment roughly 2-3 feet long. By making your hook segment 2-3 feet long, and your sinker drop segment 12 inches long, you'll avoid the majority of any line twisting problems. Good quality 3 way swivels will help to avoid this problem as well.

By utilizing the lightest weight mono on my sinker segment, when I get hung up, and I can yank hard, bust the mono at the sinker and get the entire rest of my rig back. I then merely attach another pretied 30 mono segment and sinker. Works 80 percent of the time.

3. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I forgot to say that I use this method in static water(lakes & ponds) whem im on the river I reverse the hook and sinker the way you said. However on the river if im in a snag or brush I use the hook on the short leader to raise it above the trash on the bottom and being short it won't flop around as much. this method I don't use a circle cause went they hit there is no time to load. I use a Gama Octapus in brush and strike when they take it and drag them out before they get hungup.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I construct my 3-way rig some what different. I use the same mono for my leader as that spooled on my reel. My leader is anywhere from 6-18 inches. My leader to my sinker is 1/2 the weight of my spooled line. This leader is rarely more than 4-6 inches. I prefer to get my bait up off the ground and let the current "swirl" it around. The short sinker leader serves the same purpose, it hold my bait down.

I think all of us use this rig for certain types of fishing, but most will have our own little alterations.

5. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yeah, that's the rig I usually use. I put a fixed bobber about 10 inches above the swivel to keep the line standing up and the bait elevated if it's not live bait.