Rig question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by pelark, Aug 11, 2007.

1. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am curious as to whether or not this is a typical, or at least common rig for catfishing. If anyone knows the name of such a rig, that would be appreciated too. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    With the float in the position its in it will not hold up the bait and the sinker. May I suggest a 3 way swivel. With your sinker on the bottom with a lighter line for easy break off if snagged. Then the leader with thw hook can be attached to the other part of the swivel with the float on that a couple of inches back from the hook. Then you will be ready to roll. May I also suggest a carolina rig. Different rigs are used according to what the fishin situation dictates. Good fishin to ya.

3. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for your reply. I guess maybe i didn't make it all that clear. The weight is actually resting on the bottom. I assume so at any rate, and the float is just to hold the baited hook off the bottom. Usually around a foot and a half or so above the bottom.
    I have only tried it a couple of times...not knowing whether or not it would work, but figured it made a lot of sense (at least to my feeble little melon) to anchor the line and suspend the bait...in theory at least.
    The heat has made things a little difficult of late so I guess I will find out if it works when things cool down a bit.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    try adding a float to the hook leader on this rig. with the long leader you can move the float up and down to adjust how far off the bottom you want the bait to be.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That is a good rig with one modification and thats the cork. Slide a 2 or 3 inch cigar float on the line and leave it where it will slide freely up and down the line. Tie your snker to the bottom then go up 1 to 2 ft. and tie a dropper loop to attach your hook to. The cigar float will be free sliding between your sinker and your dropper loop. When you cast out the cork will be resting against your sinker and when it hits the water it will slide up against your dropper loop keeping your bait suspended the distance between your sinker and your dropper loop. Remember to leave enough slack line to allow the cork to hold the bait up off the bottom.

6. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
  7. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks mrmark...that makes a lot of sense to me too. I will have to try that one out...today if I can convince the little man to go with me...:big_smile:

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    When I try this rig I always wind up getting the two lines tangled eventually any suggestions on how to stop that.

9. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    well for the rig i suggested there are 2 points to remember first always use a quality swivel for the hook leader and second use leader material for your hook, its stiffer so it stays straight and doesn't tangle as easily as mono.
    laeder material is fairly cheap either 10cents for a 36 inch "stick" or 1.00 to 1.50 for a 10yd coil depending on what pound test you'd like. flourocarbon is another story.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Just bought myself some Seaguar leader material stuff is expensive. I will have to try that out maybe it will thanks Mr Edwards.

11. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    you just bought some flourocarbon its good stuff just pricey. seaguar is expensive roughly 25.00 for 25 yds of 50lb test.

12. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    gosh all that sounds good enough. Anybody in the loaning money buisness

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Lol I paid $6.95 bucks for this and it was a trial size 10 yards.