Rig Help Needed

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by malenko14, Jun 16, 2009.

1. malenko14

malenko14 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am just taking up cat fishing and got a bit of a lesson this past weekend. My buddy and I caught about 20 blues ranging from 3-5 pounds, however we watched two guys catch about 50 in the same time period. I looked at what they were fishing and they were using minnows and liver just like us. Here is the difference: while we drift fished they anchored in current and casted out down below it; they had some form of leader about 12-18" up from the sinker which was on the bottom of the line and appeared to be jigging the bait in the current. I tried this later and got no results; I did not use a leader, only tied my hook above my sinker and could not keep my bait down or else I would get snagged; can anyone help out with this; is this a common rig? how do I set it up? what form of tackle do I need.

Thanks

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm not real sure what you're describing, but, you can look in the library section,, and try and find, Paternoster rigs,, I use a form of those, off the bank in a river and they work pretty good.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Joseph go to the home page check [members library ]there are a lot of rigs shown in there ,many with diagrams , WILL give u idea of some to try :wink:

WELCOME TO THE BOC

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No thats just a hook and sinker. "Carolina Rig" almost if your referrin to a bass rig. But what you'll need is the Barrel swivel rig. Theres many different ones but thats the one i use. Just thread a good size egg sinker on dependin on the current as to what size you need. Then get a barrel swivel, tie one end to the main line, take about a 20" leader and tie it on the second eye. Then on the lead line tie ya a 5 ott gamma or eagle claw wide gap circle on and your set.:wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joseph Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. As already stated. Check out the members library for the rig you are talking about. Post back if you have any questions about that named rig.:0a23::0a25: