rifles in MO

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dieselcat, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I don't know how to do a poll,or i would have:embarassed:

Ok,i don't have anything against rifle hunting,but i wish MO would do like Illionos. And make gun season here, shotgun or muzzle loader only.The 4 point restriction we have has helped alot already with bigger bucks.For those who don't know about the 4 point restiction in most of missouri, a buck has to have 4 points on 1 side before you can harvest it........

Which at first the department of conservation said was to get the doe #'s down,and now they are claiming it was intended for growing bigger and more mature bucks.

I just want to know how many people feel the same way i do about the shotgun/muzzleloader or atleast a single shot rifle,no automatics?

I couldn't tell ya, just on opening morning of firearms season how many people i herd shoot 4,5 times within a matter of seconds.I even herd 1 jackass shoot 11 times,that is not ethical and it's pretty scary when your sitting there and hear someone unload on a deer wondering if you might get it by a stray bullet from some idiot sprayin and prayin.

I know by now, some of you are thinking, if you don't like it then don't hunt durring gun season........Point is, i shouldn't have to worry bout the idiot on property next to me unloading on a deer that may be running in my direction and accidentally hitting me or someone else!

Would really like to hear others opinions on this.

Thanks and good luck to all.....:wink:

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea taken semi-autos out of the game might help but ant gona happen. I deal with a few on other propertys who just blast away @ anything. Ya know a lil time @ the rifle range and LEARNING how to shoot can fix that. What ever happened to 1 shot mabe 2 @ the most. Or even worse the dirtheads that shoot @ anything that moves its them that scare me. Its one of the reasons I wont hunt public land on the weekends.

3. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hunt with a muzzleloader during gun season and see no problem, hell these new ones can shoot out to 300 yards just like a rifle IMO

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Most of the time when you hear multiple shots, the shooter isn't hitting anything. The best shot you will get will be the first one. If you can't get the deer with that one, it's not very likely you will hit it with follow up shots since it will be running full speed by then. If you hear 3 or more shots, they are probably just playing with their gun or target practicing.

5. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I think it goes back to a few numb nuts will screw things up for everyone! If Mo said I had to use a shotgun, I guess I would go buy a slug gun and deal with it. But, I have 6 different deer rifles that I enjoy shooting and hunting with. I take turns using them each season. It would be a shame to let those guns sit during deer season. I have a semi-auto 30-06 that I like to use and can say I have never HAD to take a follow up shot. I think some guys like to hear themselves shoot!!! JMO.

6. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    if you don't feel safe in Missouri woods don't go out, go to Illinois! Don't condem all rifle hunters because a few knuckleheads can't keep their finger off the trigger, 99% of all the hunters in the woods are ethical sportsmen. Fools will be fools and taking the rifles out of the hunters hands is not going to keep fools from being fools.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well said Kenny. I ain't misbehaving so don't punish me. I have gotten so I hunt with my single shot encore all through general firearms season for deer in Va. Nov 14 - Jan 3. I have a 243 nad a 308 barrel but use my 50 caliber muzzle loader barrel as it puts them down quicker. Anyway, Single shot is fine with me but I don't think its right to force that on everyone.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The problem with that is this. A big chunk of lead coming out of a shotgun is in my opinion no safer. Slugs can bounce when they hit the ground and they are highly inaccurate. Most of my family is in Iowa so I have had long long conversations about this. Most people buy the cheap Remington "sluggers" at 4-5$ a box and shoot them out of there smoothbore shot guns. Your not going to have very many people buying nice slug guns and buying slugs at 16$+ for 5 slugs to improve there accuracy. I'm talking accuracy out of these cheap slugs like you might hit a paper plate 2 times out of 5 shots 50-75 yards away. I'll stick with my rifle where I know I'll hit what I aim at. :big_smile: That and I would rather be shot with a 150-180 grain bullet then a 1 oz. chunk of lead. You can even look at Iowa the bottom 2 row of county's can use rifles now during there doe only season.

9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    ok,either i didn't explain myself right or some of you didn't understand where i was going with this?i know i kinda jumped around with this 1 and should of focused on main reason i would like to see shotgun/muzzle loaders in missouri.

really i could give a rats ass bout rifle hunting,yes i rifle hunt but usually for 1 of 2 reasons.1 if i don't fill my archery tags and 2 to get rid of some doe's.

IMO if MO only allowed shotgun/muzzle loader i believe there would be alot more mature/bigger bucks.this is why i would like to see shotgun/muzzle loader only.

As far as semi auto's go i dont have anything against the rifles them selves, but who's behind the trigger,and yes a few could and does spoil it for everyone else.you can shoot a bolt action rifle almost as fast as a semi auto,but atleast with a bolt action you have a little time between shots to think bout what your doing and where your shooting.

basically if you only have 1 shot i think people would be more selective on their shots.if you where only allowed to enter the woods with 1 or even 2 bullets for your gun, are you going to shoot at a running deer?prolly not.
    In peoples minds they think,O i got a semi auto so if i don't get em with the first shot i got 5 or however many more i can throw at em.

Like i said at the beginning,maybe i should have explained my reasoning better in the first post?My intentions where not to bash rifle hunters because i am 1 myself.

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    The government is already laying down to many ,laws,takeaways and anything else you can think of.However i do hunt with bow ,bolt action rifle,ML,Handgun,and ML handgun and do agree the fully auto loaders do not have a place in hunting....

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think those that rattle off multiple shots are a very, very small percentage of hunters. They are rank amateurs who don't know much about hunting.

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    So you think the way to grow bigger bucks is to have people use inferior weapons?

There are a lot of deer killed with bows and muzzleloaders all over the place.

13. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    To me it's kinda like the whole cpr thing. I personally don't shoot small bucks. I am lucky to hunt an area with a large doe population so it does not make sense to me. If I want meat I shoot does. Why kill a little buck for the meat when I can kill a doe just as easy?? BUT, I have no right to tell another person he can't shoot what might be a trophy to him. You want a larger population of mature bucks, don't shoot young bucks, simple. The only way that is gonna happen is if you own enough ground you can manage your deer herd, or the MDC makes more rules regarding what you can and can't shoot. Not sure the latter is such a good idea either.

14. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The area that I hunt is a pass through for the deer. They don't live on the property but cross it for bedding and feeding. I've rifle hunted for years and i am a firm believer in one shot ...one kill. If Missouri were to change to shotguns, some ass would be out there with a semi auto unloading it too. I meat hunt because my family likes to eat it. I don't care about the BIG trophy buck for my ego. I want meat for the freezer and unfortunately with the 4 point rule, I my not fill my freezer because the deer crossing through may not fit the states requirement.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No Offence,But I dont see why you are disgruntled about rifle hunts,Just need to get on your game a bit more.

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My thoughts exactly. :big_smile:

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    It all boils down to the idiots who take all these shots. Heard volleys of 7 and 8 shots all weekend. I will not hunt with or around any one like this!
    Don't need more gun rules. After all this is supposed to be AMERICA.