Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts
I apologize to the OP, I didn't see that coming.....may as well run with it......

So with my trusty 243, I have taken 7 head shots, with seven dead, not one step dead deer and one deer that had his head behind a tree, so I placed my round into his chest cavity and he ran 75 yards and was running circles around his head when I got there to cut his throat, all that with a hole in his heart and half a lung gone........not really for me...... you guys can chase deer around and follow blood trails, I would never try to change you to my ways, I'll be too busy puttin' my deer in the freezer so I can go catfishing , lol

Josh, that's very interesting that you can use a rimfire for deer, I enjoy my 22lr's, gotta few 10-22's and markII 22/45, most with minor mods and hand polishing of the internal parts, didn't seem to hunt much with em the last few years..... we should talk airguns some time, I need one that shots straight, I had no luck with anything I can get around here

this was Patrick's Christmas present this year. Lets just say I won the best girl friend award because of this :p
Why can't if find a girlfriend that likes to catfish and buys guns!!??? I would settle for one that likes to catfish.
I've been fishing a little over a year now but if it helps I've loved guns my whole life! For my 16th birthday my dad bought me a .22lr and I wasn't disappointed one bit!

I apologize to the OP, I didn't see that coming.....may as well run with it......

So with my trusty 243, I have taken 7 head shots, with seven dead, not one step dead deer and one deer that had his head behind a tree, so I placed my round into his chest cavity and he ran 75 yards and was running circles around his head when I got there to cut his throat, all that with a hole in his heart and half a lung gone........not really for me...... you guys can chase deer around and follow blood trails, I would never try to change you to my ways, I'll be too busy puttin' my deer in the freezer so I can go catfishing , lol

Josh, that's very interesting that you can use a rimfire for deer, I enjoy my 22lr's, gotta few 10-22's and markII 22/45, most with minor mods and hand polishing of the internal parts, didn't seem to hunt much with em the last few years..... we should talk airguns some time, I need one that shots straight, I had no luck with anything I can get around here

anything you wanna know about air rifles/ pistols im your guy LOL feel free to contact me via pm, a thread, phone etc 828-851-1787 but I will tell you this air rifles will cost you 2x what a pb will cost you for equal quality.
Josh

from a higher end airgun this is a typical 50yd 5 shot group with 5mph wind gusts shoots 21.14gr pellets at 920 fps avg....

here would be said rifle which is a precharged pneumatic airgun its powered my 3000psi of fresh air in tube under the barrel. its a uk custom shop made webley & scott venom viper from around y2k.

here is another cool little toy its a c02 powered pistol that runs on 12gr cartridges. its a .375 caliber DAQ pistol shoots .375 roundball at about 450fps good for short range pesting and giggles lol

heres another cool little toy great pesting rifle, a third type of airgun known as spring piston in which its a break barrel. its a 1979 feinwerkbau 124d from air rifle headquarters which makes it extremely rare. it shoots .177 pellets 8.4grs at around 825 fps and quite accurately. spring piston guns are much harder to shoot accurately than powder burners or pcp/co2 guns.

here is a typical 25yd group from a decent spring gun

here she is with a starling.

and a couple poses in the clovers.

sorry for the photos, I don't often get a chance to post airguns anywhere other than airgun forums. and I may be one of those rifle snobs howard was talking of in a since but I have many cheaper and more expensive rifles and airguns.........
Josh

might also add I hunt more with airguns than actual rifles. avg 200 squirrel a season, rabbits galore, 1000 starlings a yr, etc I also do pest removal for free at a few local farms. some shots with air rifles stretch well over 100yds and that's roughly equivalent to the trajectory of shooting a 308 at 800+ yds.
Josh

awesome, I'm looking for a pcp, the break over\spring pistons are powerful, but personally, I dont shoot well with them

I have been wanting to build a custom pcp rifle and a nice co2 pistal

the base of it is a 2240 which can be picked up quite cheap, all together I got about $200 in her.
another thing, if you want power and accuracy pcp is the way to go. but there is additional costs involved with pcp, cheapest good pump is near $300 and about like pumping a car tire with a bicycle pump, you have scba tanks which are about $600 new and the hoses etc are another 100-200$, then you have compressors which range from 800-20k$

Josh

I know what you guys mean about savage, I love mine to death. If I didnt know any better those Africa hunting pics look just like my savage 110. I cant believe the deer dont just laugh at my puny cheap gun though I am tired of replacing scopes every 5 years or so but cant expect much for 50 bucks lol.

Im also glad no one has told my super cheap bear whitetail master what a piece of crap its supposed to be. I cant aim at the same place twice or Im replacing nocks and fletchings.

Some folks just cant stand that others can do more with less. Theyd hate to see what I can do with fishing line, a hook, a stick for a bobber and my belt loop! lmao

Savage is my #1. I have a savage .17 hmr and 10ML II, win .243 and my favorite deer rifle a rem 7mm mag. I have hunted other countries but I don't turn my nose up at anyones rifle. I will stand behind savage arms but the name doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that the rifle shoots true and that the hunter only takes shots that the hunter and/ or the rifle is capable of making. There is always a handful of people that are not consistent shooters that always point a finger at the gun.

+1 for Savage. Ive done some bedding work to both of my Savages but I know they can shoot as well as I can right out of the box. Says something about a company that discontinues production of a particular chamber because of inconsistent accuracy.

A guy my girlfriend knows was telling a story about mule deer hunting in Wyoming to us and said that he was going to have to get a new rifle. He said he was looking at a Weatherby mark v in. 300 wby mag (about $3000). When she asked why, he told her he had a Remington 700 in 7mm.08 and a mule deer jumped the bullet at 300 yards so he wanted something faster and more powerful. :>o. When we got in the truck to leave she asked me about the deer jumping the bullet. I told her he was an moron because the deer did not jump the bullet that he just missed and was blaming the $800 gun so was going to spend 3 grand to miss in finer fashion. She wanted to know how I knew the deer did not hear the bang and jump over the bullet. So I explained how fast a bullet was and how fast sound was and at that yardage the bullet was there twice as fast as the sound. I think I lost her in feet per second so I told her I had been shot at several times in the army and I heard the bang way after the bullet hit. She said it was a good thing he made lots of money but she should tell his wife that he was a bad shot. NOPE! Best to stay out of it and no I am not going to teach him to shoot.
Now let me say that a very well made rifle is a pleasure to shoot and there are some calibers that do well at long yardage. (1,000 +) But for all practical purposes most game should be taken with in 400 yards and most I have taken have been around 100 yards. Changing your MOA from 1.5 to 0.5 will not kill you more deer if you can not tell the difference between 200 to 300 yards. From a cold tube while standing most of us will do well to put 5 rounds in a three inch circle at 100 yards but that will take deer every season. How you shoot is more important than what you shoot.

Deer duck'n bullets LOL. Buddy of mine up in Pennsylvania owned a sportin good shop, he said he couldn't count how many guys over the years would bring in a scope(no gun just the scope) and ask him to site it in the night before deer season. Wonder how they did opening morning LOL.

Well, I read this whole thread, Seems to me I'm going to have to go rob a bank so I can go get me a fancy schmancy new rifle them deer aint heard of yet or else I aint going to tag out, ROFLMAO I've shot the same OLD Remington model 788 in a 243 Win since I was 18 years old, I'm now 53 Killed several huge bodied mule deer out in New Mexico with it , so I aint too worried about it being effective on these Oklahoma whitetails that are less than half the size of what I'm used to shootin. Heck I might not even take the rifle out this year since I can kill 6 deer with my crossbow legally:biggrin1:

A guy my girlfriend knows was telling a story about mule deer hunting in Wyoming to us and said that he was going to have to get a new rifle. He said he was looking at a Weatherby mark v in. 300 wby mag (about $3000). When she asked why, he told her he had a Remington 700 in 7mm.08 and a mule deer jumped the bullet at 300 yards so he wanted something faster and more powerful. :>o. When we got in the truck to leave she asked me about the deer jumping the bullet. I told her he was an moron because the deer did not jump the bullet that he just missed and was blaming the $800 gun so was going to spend 3 grand to miss in finer fashion. She wanted to know how I knew the deer did not hear the bang and jump over the bullet. So I explained how fast a bullet was and how fast sound was and at that yardage the bullet was there twice as fast as the sound. I think I lost her in feet per second so I told her I had been shot at several times in the army and I heard the bang way after the bullet hit. She said it was a good thing he made lots of money but she should tell his wife that he was a bad shot. NOPE! Best to stay out of it and no I am not going to teach him to shoot.
Now let me say that a very well made rifle is a pleasure to shoot and there are some calibers that do well at long yardage. (1,000 +) But for all practical purposes most game should be taken with in 400 yards and most I have taken have been around 100 yards. Changing your MOA from 1.5 to 0.5 will not kill you more deer if you can not tell the difference between 200 to 300 yards. From a cold tube while standing most of us will do well to put 5 rounds in a three inch circle at 100 yards but that will take deer every season. How you shoot is more important than what you shoot.
I have never seen anyone that could put 5 rounds into a 3 inch circle at 100 yards off handed. That's really good shooting. I've seen a lot who say they can, but none that could do it LOL Most shooters do fine off a rest, but never practice off hand.
I can hold around 4 inches consistently with 4 arrows at 50 yards with my bow, which is actually probably better than I could do with my rifle since I never shoot it anymore. At one time I would shoot at least a case of 22lr off hand per week, at that time I was what I consider a good shot with a rifle, but lack of practice the last ten years has nocked me back to just "fair" Had a guy that was drinking a little one day that told me he could always hold 5 inch 5 arrow groups at 65 yards, couldn't resist I called him on it and followed him to his house. He completely missed the target the first two shots LOL..........

Deer duck'n bullets LOL. Buddy of mine up in Pennsylvania owned a sportin good shop, he said he couldn't count how many guys over the years would bring in a scope(no gun just the scope) and ask him to site it in the night before deer season. Wonder how they did opening morning LOL.
Yep, I had a lot of guys that would buy rifles from me, I would always bore sight the scope for them for free if they purchased one, a lot of them would take them hunting the same day without even checking them, even with me begging them not to. Some of them even said I didn't know what I was doing if I thought the bore sighting wasn't good enough for them to go hunting with the rifle. Some said they always hunted with bore sighted guns, never checked them at all.

I love nice rifles, nice knives and expensive fishing gear. But, I can't afford them any longer. I lost all of my expensive stuff under 12-14 feet of Katrina slop.

Now, my Savage .243 and 30-06 with the Accutrigger were relatively inexpensive and, they shoot great. I spent a lot of money years ago for custom trigger jobs that weren't half as good as the Savage Accutrigger is right out of the box. I'd bet big money that most folks who complain about poor performance from their rifles do not shoot well enough to really test a rifle's accuracy! Every rifle I've ever owned could perform better than I was capable of. I was the weak link, not the gun. Poor optics are probably the most frequent cause of REAL, (not assumed) accuracy issues.

According to cartridge manufacturers, it will be years before any modern, center-fire rifle ammunition sales, surpass the 30-30 in total numbers of cartridges sold to hunters over the years. That means that based on sales, more deer have been killed with the lowly Winchesters and Marlins than any other rifle! It's not very likely that much target shooting is being done with 30-30s.

I hunt hogs in very thick stuff with most of my shots inside 40 yards. I get great results with my lever-action Marlin chambered for the famous handgun cartridge, the .44 magnum. I cast them hard and all of my kills have been complete pass-throughs. Bleeding and breathing outta two holes. Large holes!

I do believe that most bolt-action rifles will perform trouble-free with thousands of rounds put through them. Where the less expensive lever-actions start to deteriorate after much less volume put through them. I don't shoot enough anymore to wear out a lever action or any other gun for that matter.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.