Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts
Buddy yours might be a bigger caliber around but I don't its bigger than this.

this was Patrick's Christmas present this year. Lets just say I won the best girl friend award because of this :p

That gun is taller than I am with the bayonet on!!!!
Length isn't all that matters :eek1::eek1::eek1:, LOL!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I used to work in a butcher shop where we used a .22 to kill hogs and beefs. the barrel of the rifle was within 12 inches of the animals head and 99% of the time it was instant death. but every now and then the bullet would miss the mark because the animal turned it's head at the wrong moment, and the animal would go ballistic. just food for thought.
I used to be a head shooter, given the perfect scenario. I never did wound one, but I gave up the head shot because of the narrow margin for error. I would rather err on the side of caution that have to learn the hard way.
but sometimes I do hunt on very small tracts of land where I need to plant the deer in it's tracks or it will run to the neighbor's property, so I will take a neck shot if the animal is within 30 yards and totally relaxed.
seems to me, if you are hunting in an area with very dense brush and where houses are that close, buckshot and a backstop would be a better choice. heck a .22 can ricochet like any other bullet and can travel well over a mile. although unlikely, it would be horrible to learn that lesson the hard way.

yeah, I guess that's why buck shot and rimfires are illegal for deer hunting here in Missouri. I have never heard of state where a rimfire is legal for deer hunting. ya learn something new every day.
but we all know it is lethal because around here that is the gun of choice for the local poachers. but I think they prefer a .22 mag...

I blew about a 90 lb doe in half with a 375H&H I used to have only got the rear end of the deer wasn't ruined, so I started using something that ruined a little less meat. I only use a 25-06 for my long range hunting. if anyone of you doubt the killing power of a 22lr I invite you to launch one into your skull and then post the results, or have your significant other to do it for you. as to the benefits of using the round specifically speaking of where I hunt its up on a hill with heavy saplings and briars everywhere but houses galore less than a mile away almost all around me. a typical high powered round could in theory make it through all that brush and strike something I wish it not to. where as a 22 will dissipate long before it reaches where any humans would be.
Josh
Josh, I've killed 2500lb beef cows with a .22, doesn't mean I'd go and hunt cape buffalo with one, but hey maybe you should go try it!

Buddy yours might be a bigger caliber around but I don't its bigger than this.

this was Patrick's Christmas present this year. Lets just say I won the best girl friend award because of this :p

That gun is taller than I am with the bayonet on!!!!
Length isn't all that matters :eek1::eek1::eek1:, LOL!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
that's not what she said hahahaha

yeah, I guess that's why buck shot and rimfires are illegal for deer hunting here in Missouri. I have never heard of state where a rimfire is legal for deer hunting. ya learn something new every day.
but we all know it is lethal because around here that is the gun of choice for the local poachers. but I think they prefer a .22 mag...
it was bugging the heck out of me why they made it legal I just got off the phone with a gw friend of mine. They legalized .22 first for people who were tracking wounded deer,but it made a gray area in the law so they legalized it totally. They do not promote people hunting with a .22 but they also understand that you'll have that 1% that will hunt with them. Its a matter of ethics, some people get it,some choose not too.

same as open carry laws as long as your intent isn't to frighten or terrorize the public. do not get seen with a rifle during duck season just an fyi will be a huge hassle. on another note why does everyone question my ethics? I make clean humane kills, typically reside on the right side of laws, even explained my reasons for doing what I do. sure you may not feel that is the best choice, but who are to question my ethics or morals? obviously your are ignorant to the meaning of either. glad you educated yourself on the laws instead of jumping to conclusions on that yet again.
Josh

well, not that I am advocating deer hunting with a .22, but to be fair I like to consider both sides to an arguement. consider a .22 vs. an arrow. bowhunting is an accepted method in every state (as far as I know), and I am very passionate about bowhunting. now, ask yourself which weapon has wounded more deer? if a deer is within 30 yards of a hunter, which weapon is more likely to get the job done? consider the arc of an arrow in flight and the fact that you have to know the exact distance of the target while not catching a single tiny twig. I hate to admit it, but I have wounded 3 deer with my bow. I feel they were fatal shots but I can't say that for sure because I didn't recover them. each of those deer would have probably never taken a step if I had used a .22 and taken a head shot.
more food for thought, in missouri it is legal to take deer with certain caliber air rifles as well as an atlatl, which is more or less a spear. would you consider a .22 any less lethal?

I lost a deer with a bow, never attempted it again I was never very proficient with one. oddly enough when concerning air rifles im a bit of an expert I would say. I collect, shoot, and hunt with them. if I could figure out how to post pics I would show them to you guys.
Josh

Josh, first off I'd like to say you seem like a nice guy. Theres a lot of very experienced hunters on this forum who are very knowledgeable and helpful, we all learn things everyday its an on going process of life. Responsible hunters should do everything in their power to ensure a quick clean kill. In a real world that doesn't always happen, everyone who hunts has had things go wrong with all types of weapons and speaking for myself it leaves me with a very bad feeling. We can hunt here in NC with bows,crossbows,shotguns,pistols, and rifles. You choosing to hunt with a .22 is a very bad choice to make when there are so many other choices you could be making. You say your worried about a stray bullet, so I would suggest using a bow or a crossbow. I know you said you had a bad experience with buckshot, and we all have bad experiences with our weapons but buckshot would be a better choice then a .22, I have killed a bunch of deer with buckshot very deadly with a good gun out to 40 yards some even further. Again Josh, I feel like your a good guy but your choice of weapon isnt there's no seasoned deer hunter that will agree with you.

fair enough Bob, perhaps something else would be a better choice but for shooting 1-2 deer (normally a 90-120 lb deer) a year purely for eating and the environment I shoot them in I choose to use a 22. the majority of my actual deer hunting is done with a larger cartridge as previously stated, these are small deer in a small area at short ranges. so we will leave it at that and move along, im done wasting my time pressing buttons without reason to believe its doing any good. still none of this is "ethics"...
Josh

Why can't if find a girlfriend that likes to catfish and buys guns!!??? I would settle for one that likes to catfish.
i had to teach her try finding a pond that you can let your girl catch a ton of bass on a light rods that got Sara hooked then again i could out fish anyone from the banks in the ponds in ga

61 - 80 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.