Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Rifle Snobs

18K views 102 replies 25 participants last post by  hct236 
#1 ·
Must be my night to rant but after browsing around some hunting/shooting threads, I've learned that most of my rifles are junk and I'd be better off with a sharp stick...Apparently if it isn't a blaser, kimber or some $10,000 custom double rifle, it wont kill anything. Most common phrases are junk, trash, worthless, boat paddle. Most associated with savage and mossberg. A few even slammed the Win model 70, yeah I know they went downhill post 1964 for a while when they did away with controlled round feed, but the ones in recent years they brought it back and they are much better! I have a M70 featherweight I got new 4 years ago in 264 win mag that I would put against anything!! Most of the slamming comes from the guys with kudu, wildebeest, and cape buffalo in their avatars. I won't condemn a person just because they have the money for the finer things in life but why the hate for what I consider good rifles? And Oh boy! if there is some class action law suit because some guy, somewhere got injured when shooting a budget rifle, they are ready to string the makers up in the streets without anymore knowledge than what some internet posts have said. I have 2 savages, a 110 in 308 win and a 14 American classic in 30-06 that have a dump truck load of deer to their names and 1 mossberg 100atr in 308 that is a great little inexpensive hunting rifle that my son in law uses. All of them will hold 1" or better groups at 100 yards with the right ammo, they cycle smooth and have decent triggers (esp the Savages with accutriggers) Geez, better trade my silverado for a land rover while I'm at it. Point is, A whole lot of us would not be able to enjoy the shooting sports if it wasn't for companies that build quality rifles with budget minded price tags. I won't get started on the scope snobs.

See less See more
#5 ·
How could I forget!! I posted this a few years ago...My brother, not a rich man, attended a breast cancer charity auction with his wife. He and his brother in law bid on a hunting trip to Africa thinking there was no way they would win but had to bid on something at the auction, but they won!! It took about a year form them to set aside the rest of the cash needed to make the trip (air fare, etc) He showed up in Africa with his Savage 30-06..He received some funny looks but got the job done! I show people the pics and they all say "That's a Savage"!!!

Attachments

#6 ·
Howard, you'll find that there are a lot of forums with people that have nothing better to do then rattle someone's cage. I guarantee you that a very small percentage of them really have what they say they have or have done what they say they've done. I would also wager that most of us "good ole boys" are 100 times better hunters then some guy who pays other people to put them on game. I know a guy, good friend of mine he's financially loaded and all I hear is how much his stuff cost. Last year I had to hear it over and over again how much his new $1200 bow cost. I finally told him the weapon doesn't make the hunter,the hunter makes the weapon. At the end of season last year, he had 0 deer, I killed 6 with my cheap $500 crossbow. How "dead" can you kill something? I enjoy this forum, seems like most are truly decent,helpful people who don't judge others or who have puffed out chests so big they have a hard time typing. Some people buy expensive things to make them appear more important or higher up in the food chain, I buy things to put food on my family's table. A $300 gun will kill something just as dead as a $3000 gun.

#7 ·
More deer are killed at 100 yards or less. Your rifle doesn't have to shoot half inch groups at 200 yards to be successful. Of course highly accurate guns are nice, but not a requirement for sure I get a good laugh at all the people arguing over what bullet/caliber you just HAVE to have to kill a deer when I kill plenty every year with a stick and string. Deer aren't some mystical creature. You shoot them in the vitals with pretty much anything and they are done. Simple

#8 ·
More deer are killed at 100 yards or less. Your rifle doesn't have to shoot half inch groups at 200 yards to be successful. Of course highly accurate guns are nice, but not a requirement for sure I get a good laugh at all the people arguing over what bullet/caliber you just HAVE to have to kill a deer when I kill plenty every year with a stick and string. Deer aren't some mystical creature. You shoot them in the vitals with pretty much anything and they are done. Simple
Oh, no..you are wrong! According to what I read, deer are armor plated beasts that require a cannon shooting $4.00 each bullets to bring one down. lol ill admit i do use nosler trophy grade ammo..but i look at it like this...$45 a box is only $2.25 per deer..you are correct, about 95% of my deer have been killed under 150 yards.

#9 ·
Lol. If you dont have the latest camo or gizmos you cant hunt or even fish. Deer aint never changed. Been a pile of them killed with the old time guns. Now we got to have all the latest and greatest or we wont even see game or catch a fish lol. The advertising companies are doin a good job of gettin people to spend money for the latest have to have gizmo. Even all the scent killers that supposed to make you invisible to deer lol what a joke. You still better hunt the wind

#10 ·
I get a kick out of the Mathews bow company. They come out every year with these new and improved bows and a lot of these guys just HAVE to get them.Not saying they don't make great bows because they do. Smart guys buy the "out dated" bows for a fraction of the price and kill just as many deer, I'm speaking from experience because I bought a used Mathews several years ago very silent and deadly weapon. Hats off to Mathews though, great business strategy! The "no scent" market is something else too. Put a guy hunting up wind of deer with his $3000 gun, scent blocker cloths, all the bells and whistles. I will kill the deer he's hunting staying down wind and being still with a recurve bow.

#11 ·
Howard it sounds like you are listening to the wrong people....who cares what the rich yankee yuppies think!?!? If you are confident in your weapon to perform in any weather and hit where you want it too then use it...it doesn't matter if it's a old hand me down rifle or a custom rifle....main reason I stay away from social media...(besides catfish forums LOL)...couldn't care less what others think about the stuff I use to enjoy my hobbies with. I'd bet the ol Marlin lever guns have taken ALOT of animals lives....those animals didn't know how expensive the gun was that propelled a piece of mushrooming lead through them....just like some say you can't catch fish unless you have a $2,000+ down/side scan with 360 view of everything LOL....

#15 ·
See what a guy gets for admitting he choked lol
LOL It happens to all of us man. The one that still sticks our to me was two years ago....second week of November...hunting the back side of a 30 acre thicket when some rabbit hunters started blasting across the way...big ol doe came tip toeing out the thicket and my 300 Ultra mag smacked her in the shoulder at 20 yards....she face planted and bulldozed herself about 10 yards and layed there...then I hear horns hitting the trees in the thicket....a VERY WIDE main frame 9 point was on the same path she was but stopped just short of where I shot her... I was looking through a mangled mess trying to pick out an opening....decided to not risk it and wait for another step....two minutes later the buck whirled around and headed straight back for the thicket....thought I seem him cut right...threw my scope up and found him about 100 yards away through the woods in a tiny opening...barked one off at him and seen him run off....went to where he was and found blood!! Started tracking him and walked up on a 4 pointer!!! LOL....I thought somebody had came and took my deer and left the 4 point at first....everybody gave me heck saying it was ground shrinkage...but I know it wasn't the one that I had seen....Seen him again a week later in the neighbors field....got a real good look at him...hindsight....I should have shot him in the thick stuff and let my 300 do it's magic with the brush....and followed up with a second shot if needed.... that's part of hunting... makes you enjoy it a lot more when the pieces come together like they are supposed to...

#17 ·
I have to tell this one an I am done LOL. A guy came in my archery shop once and told me he was giving up the 7mm mag and going back to the 06. Couldn't resist asking why His explanation was that the 7 mag went thru the deer so fast that the hair flopped back over the hole and wouldn't leave a blood trail. I was always nice to my customers so I just sold him the 06 bullets while trying to keep a straight face LOL

#20 ·
I have to tell this one an I am done LOL. A guy came in my archery shop once and told me he was giving up the 7mm mag and going back to the 06. Couldn't resist asking why His explanation was that the 7 mag went thru the deer so fast that the hair flopped back over the hole and wouldn't leave a blood trail. I was always nice to my customers so I just sold him the 06 bullets while trying to keep a straight face LOL
And just think,these people are in the woods with guns lol

#22 ·
As we age more important than the gun is the optics we put on that gun. Get a cataract in your shooting eye and you will see what I mean. I noticed the optics on the savage that was used in Africa looked to be higher quality.

That said my first deer 39 years ago was with an old british 303. No scope, peep sights, and the deer was just as dead.

#24 ·
My first rifle dad gave me in 1981 (and it was over 30 years old when I got it) was a winchester 1894 in 38-55...Slow, big hunk of inaccurate lead by today's standards but I managed to kill several deer the 5 years I carried before I got a 270

#25 ·
Howard it sounds like you are listening to the wrong people....who cares what the rich yankee yuppies think!?!? If you are confident in your weapon to perform in any weather and hit where you want it too then use it...it doesn't matter if it's a old hand me down rifle or a custom rifle....main reason I stay away from social media...(besides catfish forums LOL)...couldn't care less what others think about the stuff I use to enjoy my hobbies with. I'd bet the ol Marlin lever guns have taken ALOT of animals lives....those animals didn't know how expensive the gun was that propelled a piece of mushrooming lead through them....just like some say you can't catch fish unless you have a $2,000+ down/side scan with 360 view of everything LOL....
Not listening to them, just let them get under my skin

#26 ·
I've seen plenty 7 mag exit wounds..If the hair filled that hole, I think he was shooting musk-ox..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.