Rifle Scope, or no rifle scope, that is the question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TDawgNOk, Sep 29, 2007.

For first time deer hunting, scope, or no scope? Rifle is an old British .303

1. Scope

2. No scope

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok brothers, as many of you know I plan on going on my very first deerhunt this fall. I have only used a small scope on my dads old short barreled .22, and then I didn't like it very much. I have always loved shooting open sites though. So, should I go borrow a high powered scope and get to practicing???? Or just go with open open sites?

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    how far do you plan on shooting ?

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I like a scope myself.don't see as good at 47 as i did at 18.LOL.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Tony up until about 10 yrs. ago i always hunted with open sights. Here's the story and the reason i now put scopes on my rifles. I was hunting from a tree stand and there was about 15 minutes of daylight left. I was hunting in heavy cover in a thick stand of pines, so the light was very poor. Out comes the biggest buck i have ever seen, the kind you see on the cover of Field and Stream magazines, the kind of buck that makes you break out in a sweat in 10 below temps. In less than five minutes he stopped and turned sideways offering me a perfect shot. The problem was when i sighted in on him the front sight was blurred and i was afraid of taking the shot and wounding him. Had i been using a scope the light would have been magnified, by the scope and i would have had a trophy of a lifetime. Since then i have had no problem bagging my deer in poor lighting conditions.

5. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Now THAT is a very strong argument on the scope side. Thank you very much!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well last year i too did my first deer season at age 32. during firearm and muzzeloader season i took my first two deer with a cva .45 cal muzzeloader i got on clearence for $49 with a bsa $30 scope. one dropped dead the other made to 30 yards before expiring. i can hit a quarter at 100 yards while i knew of at least three friends that hit a deer with 12 guage slugs open sights and were unsuccessful in finding the wounded game. ive shot this gun 40 times give or take and with locktight on the scope mounts its as accurate as the day i sighted it in. i use powerbelt bullets. this season during the firearm weekend the rem 1100 will be still on the hooks. the cva with scope will be on my shoulder.

they claim that 3 shots are better that one. but i had a deer and they did not. lol. one accurate shot IMO is much better tasting.

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, any suggestions on an inexpensive scope for a 303?

8. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Tony, I just pulled up rifle scopes on ebay and they had 2500. About 3 days of watching and bidding you will have any power you want, at a very good price.

I'm like Mike, cant see too good anymore. Not gettin old I just see good anymore.

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    heres my take on scopes,i much prefer shooting with a scope if i want to pick out a hair near a deers heart and shoot i can.the drawbacks are most cheap scopes dont pick up a lot of light and they tend to fog on cold clammy days.on the other hand good scopes pick up more light than the human eye and are fogproof.its a cost issue i never skimp on optics and if i have to id rather shoot iron sights.good low cost scopes bushnell,nikon good luck tony.

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Just remember look at your target ( ie. deer) and keep your eyes on it and bring the rifle and scope up to firing position. Don't look in the scope and then try to find the target. You can get on target faster with a scope than with open sites if you practice this. With open sites you have to line up the target, the front site and the back site, with a scope its just put the cross hairs on the spot and shoot. Best low priced scope out there, to me, is a Worldclass Tasco, you can find a 3 X 9 X 40 for around $70, even cheaper on E-bay. For the money it's a pretty good scope.

11. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Alright Tom, I went to fleabay and looked at scopes. Now I have a big ole headache. How will I know what will fit a 303, and what will work well with a 303??

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd get a Nikon ProStaff or Bushnell Trophy. I've got both of these. They never loose their zero from year to year, draw in alot of light, and don't fog up. My Nikon is actually clearer than my Leupold VXIII. If you're not shooting much over 100 yards, I'd stay with the lower power like the 2-7 power. You'll have a better field of view at close range. Both of these scopes will run you less than 130.00.

As far as which one will fit your 303, it's not the scope you have to fit. You'll have to get a base and rings for your particular gun and the scope fits on it. B-Square makes a no gunsmithing mount for your British 303 and I think you can get it for under 40.00. They seem to be good solid mounts.

I've had a 1.5-4.5 power Bushnell Trophy that I paid 95.00 for new. It is as clear as the day it was new. I got it 6 years ago and it's never lost zero. I've got it on a 308 and regularly make 200 yard shots with no problems. The lower power makes running shots through the woods at close range alot easier!

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sam, that is great advice, both on the way to find the deer in the scope and on the Tasco Worldclass. Best "cheap" scope on the market.

On the other hand........................
    Tony, the most expensive stereo sound bad with cheap speakers!
    Even a cheap stereo can sound decent with great speakers!
    Same goes for rifles and scopes.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The most powerful argument for scopes is this: almost everyone shoots better with one.

While that means more deer killed, it also means fewer deer wounded, crippled, and unrecovered (one of the few shames in hunting).

The biggest bargain in optics is a used Leupold. They carry a lifetime warranty, no matter whether you're the first or tenth owner. Simply send it to the factory, and they'll return it to you, good to go, no questions asked.

15. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    In my opinion, the Tasco World Class is a good scope for the money.

A scope is a superior sight in almost all hunting situations, even close range dangerous game. It is important to match the magnification of the scope with what you are shooting.

Keep your scope set around four power. Turn up the magnification as needed. On the highest setting, you can drive yourself crazy because you see any small movement of the rifle. It is also harder to pick our your target on the high magnification.

Also, I would check the NRA website on sighting in your rifle. Remember, your point of impact will change as you barrel heats up. If you do not let it cool a little between shots, you can chase your zero forever.

Good luck and kill a big one.

Grits

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Their a bargain new also. I believe the $500 or so I spent on my Vari-X-3 was worth every penny. Of course, now they have a Var-X-7 out that put's mine to shame. LOL

Very good points. Tony, listen to these guy's, they know what their talkin about.
    Somewhere, there has to be a good joke in that. My mind just hasn't found it yet. LOL

17. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    tony ,are you confused yet?

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Confusion is a way of life for Tony. It's the degree at any given moment that is gaged.

Remember, we're talkin about a guy who is going deer hunting for the first time, and comes to a catfish board to learn all there is to know about deer.

???????

Sorry, Tony, couldn't resist. It's been a long time since I took a jab at ya.

19. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Center point 4x16x40mm 1/4 moa mil dot rifle scope
    Hi Folks,
    I was looking for a scope for my Mini 14 and came upon this one at wally world.
    Its made by the of crosman inc co, and it is 1/4 moa instead of 1/8 moa which is what I tend to like.
    It tuned in very quickly and it has locks for the turrets and once zeroed you can reset the turrets to zero. It also as well has red and green illuminator.
    Clairty is excellent and coated parrallax lens adjustable, weight 18.8 oz , cost $69.00 .

I got it set dead center 3" high at 100 yards.

I like it and would recommend it for what its worth. Time will tell.:smile2:

I will let you know how the varmits rate it.

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use to like to shoot with open sights since thats one less thing that can go wrong. I shoot better with a scope though and my eyes have gotten to where a scope is necessary. Ive been plenty happy with my Bushnell Sportsman that hasnt been to the factory at all in the last 5-6 years while by friends with the good scopes, nikon and leupold have all been back at least twice. They wont tell me how much they spent of shipping.