Rifle Caliber

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by calogan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm looking into possibly getting a high powered rifle and wondering what a good all around caliber would be. I would like to use one gun for coyote, deer, and maybe even Elk if I ever get the chance. Also an affordable round so I can take it out shooting without getting a loan first. What does eveyone think?:confused2:

2. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Based on your description you would be hard pressed to beat the 308 Winchester. Its a light recoiling round. Our military uses it as the 7.62 NATO Round, so brass for reloading is usually going to be easy to come by. Any Walmart or sporting goods store will stock it. It is also one of the most inherently accurate cartridges out there.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    maybe a 7 mag

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    First 2 that I'd pick for what you mentioned would be .270 or 30/06, if you'd leave the elk off I'd pick, my personal favorite, the 25/06.

5. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ...300 win mag, 308 win, 30-06 spr, but 7mag ,.270, are good too. maybe find a nice used rifle that you like. it will likely be something you can live with..

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    120gr bullet and shot placement will work on a big bull elk too.
    archery would be the way to go on elk anyway.:wink:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    That's easy,, a Winchester Model 70, in .30-06!!:wink::big_smile:

8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I use the 280 Rem in a Ruger #1B

9. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm leaning towards a .270, thinking that its a flatter shooting round but with enough knock down power to take a larger animal. Mostly its for fun, and coyotes since Iowa is a shotgun deer state. .30-06 or .300 winn mag was my first instinct, but seem a little large for what I would really use it for...but I really don't know.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you reload the .270 is the way to go. You have a wider variety of bullet wts. I use 110 gr for yotes 130 gr for deer 150 gr for elk. JMHO

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All the aboved will do the deed,But if you plan on saving a pelt from a coyote ,forget it. There are only a select few that will kill a song dog ,and not leave a hole big enough to drive a mack truck through. And IMO none are suitable for deer.:wink:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    what is a pelt worth now adays ?

13. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not much, something like $5 I think...

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Depends on where you are. I've heard rumors that good N M mountain or sandhill coyotes are worth 20-35.00 .

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I would like to add my voice to the chorus of folks singing the praises
    of the venerable 30 '06. The plus with this caliber is the range of ammo
    loaded professionally. Light or heavy bullets depending on the target,
    sabot rounds with .223 for varmint hunting, etc. Some say that .300
    Win is better on elk and .444 Marlin for closeup on bears, but there is
    no better general caliber than 30 '06 for a one gun hunter. And here's
    the cool part: almost every gun manufacturer makes a solid reliable
    and cheap to buy and maintain turnbolt in this caliber plus an auto
    loader for those who want a couple of rounds insurance for the kill.

16. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Lots of people with lots of ideas and reasons behind most all of them. If you start adding up all the .30 cal loads shot over the last 100 years or so it becomes quite clear that if you outlawed them right now, it would be years before another bullet passed it.

.30 carbine, 30-30 win, .308, .303, 30-06, 300 sav, .300 mag, 300 ultra mag etc etc. (I'm sure i missed some as these are just off the top of my head )

I've said it before and I'll say it again. YOu can take most any modern centerfire and kill deer with it. But if I was hunting with a 30-30 and a nice buck walks out at 250 yards I'd wish I had my Knight .50 cal muzzle loader. (That said only half way tongue in cheek )

If you think there is even a slight chance you'll be hunting elk etc, why not start out with a 7mm Rem Mag or a .300 Win mag ?

Lots of bullet choices for both and a great deal more to offer once you pass a set point.

I could take my 7 mag ( when I had one ) and I could load 100 grain bullets in it and I could shoot within reason of the .22 tack drivers and once we passed 300 yards I could start hurting their feelings. And it don't stop there. I can change to a 145 and step on out etc.

And if you change that idea from poking a hole in paper to killing an animal the difference becomes even more pronounced. IE a .220 swift pushing a 53 grain bullet at around 4000 fps can't come close to the damage my 7mm will do at ANY given distance running a 100 grain bullet at 3500+ fps.

And here again, You have to remember we are talking the best the .220 can do and the bottom end of bullet weights for the 7.

But like others have said before and as much as I hate to say it myself, The 30-06 is every where and nothing I know of can supass the range of bullet weights and styles that are offered for it.. And a 130 grain bullet in an 06 is an awesome thing on a white tailed deer.

So all said and done the 30-06 is very likely the best all around round for most cases.. But as long as I have a choice, I'll take the 7mm every time.

All of this is my opinion and based on what I have learned over the years. Others may think otherwise and may have very good reasons for what they thing. Sometimes there is more than one correct answer.

17. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I hunt with a .280 remington and love it. If I did not have my .280 I
    would try to buy one. But that being said I think the best rifle for a
    person that was only going to have one rifle and planned to hunt a
    variety of different game, large and small it would be the 30/06.
    You can find ammo anywhere and you can get ammo from 55 grain
    accellerators to 220 grain round nose.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ya got a few or more choices. 270, 30/06 or 7 mm mag good choices there im sure theres more b ut they will getter done!!

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    aint worth the gas

20. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    if you want a rifle that will stop any of them in there tracks.. .308 is a heck of a gun thats what i shoot. but nothing beats my first rifle i got. the good ol' .243, its a sweet shootin gun. i can easliy wipe a nats ass @ 200yrds with the 243, if shot is bad they will run. but the 308, haha its a cannon, never ran on me even if i have to highback them.