Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Rifle accuracy?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ryanjay11 
#1 ·
Ive got a savage model 93r17 with bull barrel, accutrigger, and nikon buckmasters 3-9×40 and was wondering if it would kill a coyote at 150 yards if i lung or head shot him? Im thinkin i wanna zero it in at 150 yds is that too far for this rifle and cal.? One more question, someone told me that a rifle is more accurate after its had about 10-20 rounds through it. Is this true or will it be a lil more accurate right after a bore cleaning.

#2 ·
It would likely kill the coyote with a lung shot(after it ran off), but I highly doubt you are going to penetrate the skull with that round at 150 yards. If that is your plan, you should use at least a 223. Have you seen what even a light wind will do to that 17 grain bullet?

As far as accuracy, you might try some different boxes of ammo. I had a 17hmr Marlin several years back and it really liked the Hornady ammo. It would easily shoot 3/4" at 100 yards. When the wind picked up, I would just put it away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.