Riding out a wake

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ka_c4_boom, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this past weekend on the ohio river i had 4 yaughts come up river side by side when they got close they slowed down and fell in behind one another . the wake these 40' monsters were puting out scared the life practicaly out of my wife and didnt do me any favors , 6' high rolling water one wake after another if i had been ancored it would no doubt have pulled the nose under , heres what i did tell me if there was a better way to handle this although im here so obviously it worked , i turned my 16' river jon the same dirrection up river as they were traveling and stayed on top of the wake rode it out up river a half mile till it faded away much like a surfer would have , the front half of the boat and i do mean half wasnt even in the water . is there a better way to handle this ? and would i have been in any more danger if i had just sat there broadside ? i know on small wakes i turn in to them and go over them but big ones have come over the nose thats not good right ? any thought or oppinions appreciated .

2. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    That there sounds like tuns o fun... LMAO what i think is you did right i've done that before and it seemed to work. The people in the big ole boat prolly said whatch this, this fella in the jon are going for a ride. thank goodness you came out of it unharmed.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most likely they and you did the proper thing.By going single file,hopefully they could stay at a safer distance and make a smaller wake.Water conditions don;t always cooperate with the correct procedure.peewee-wiliams

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sound to me like you made the right decision! You are here and I would asume still have a boat. If those wakes hit you broadside it would have been one heck of a ride for sure!

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If they caught you broadside you would have had a short ride... to the bottom. In that situatio I quarter the nose as steeply as I can into the wave so that it picks up the front of the boat and then slide down the roll of the wave to the next one. It sounds like this is what you did. Otherwise ride one of them to shore and bail after the last one goes by. Makes for some tense boating. Glad you are OK.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have always heard your supposed to turn your bow into the waves. Got caught a few times in the Chesapeake when tug boats would be running full tilt down the York River. Man, talk about a wave. Should be legal to have a gun on board to shoot those SOB's.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You don't mention the size boat you have, but I encounter a lot of big yachts on the intracoastal waterway in my 17' c-c. If I'm meeting them, I slow down, using the throttle to keep the bow up, and cut into the waves at near 90 deg angle. If passing, I do the same thing, keeping enough speed to carry me on through the swells from their wake, and gradually pass them. In your case, I would probably have met them, keeping my hand on the throttle to keep the bow in the proper attitude. To much speed will cause the boat to leave the water, with a resulting hard landing. They will quickly be gone, and you can go back to fishing.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think you did good with a 16' flat bottom. I used to have a 14' flat bottom on the river and I can tell you it gets wild out there with the pleasure boaters and barges. I now have a 17' Invader deep-v made for saltwater an waves.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Oops, sorry, I missed that about the boat size. :embarassed:

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Yeah, I agree chuck. If they were rollers you could have took them almost straight on. Your boat would handle them fine. But i don't think you would have sunk if you'd been anchored. That is one reason why the coast guard recomends so much line out, to ride big waves. If you had some extra line out you would have simply gone forward when the big waves came up, if you were anchored straight up and down i think your boat would pull the anchor off bottom before it pulled ur boat under. that boat has some buoyancy. but i woulda like to seen the look on your wifes face :eek:oooh:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This very well could become an olympic event in the future.:big_smile:

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    There you go.. Make it interesting and use canoes! :crazy:

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you got that right! not a gun, rather a sidewinder missile!:angry:

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya, thats something you don't practice on the water in captains class.

I was trolling a few weeks ago in a narrow cover and I had a 28 foot deep-v center console come tooling by at about 30 mph. Had he stayed on plane and kept going things would have been fine, instead he throttled back and threw off a huge wake. I saw it coming and spun the nose around with the trolling motor so that i would take the wave at the bow. It was exciting to say the least.

I have always been told and always prefer to take the waves on the bow of the boat. If you are under power and under way it is a lot easier than when you are "dead stick" in the water. Blackwaterkatz summed it up well with keeping the nose slightly high and taking them on bow first.

Unlike an ocean swell, a wake off a big boat is usually a much steeper and shorter wake, and therefor much more apt to capsize your boat if you take them off either side.