Riding mower

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im getting a riding mower soon and need info iv got about an acre of ground 3 out buildings and 1 tree to mow around the yard is bumpy with a fence all the way around 3 gates 4' and 2 gates 8' last year i mixed a batch of roundup and gas which killed the grass and weeds from under the fence and mowed the rest with a used craftsman 42" rider but it died , actually the deck spun a bearing and one blade quit spinning

question should i get a new craftsman or something else dont want to spend more than 2k if i can keep from it

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Charles,

Looking past your $$$ limit, I'd say get a John Deer, not one from Home Depot, but from a reuptable dealer. They will last you YEARS. My parents have one from 1970 that still runs great. They also have a newer '80's model that runs great also.

for less than $2000, ya might look at murray. they seem to be decent and parts should be readily accessable.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    John Deere is the way to go

Attached Files:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charles there is a lot of good used mowers out there that can save you money. Put the word out of what size and horsepower you want.Check the local papers, sale traders, and dealers. If you want a new one then forget all of the above. Good luck on your search.:big_smile:

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think you can go wrong with Murray at Walmart. They will last as long as the name brands and for lot less money.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks guys il check around and see what i can find maybe even check the pawn shops , sears , walmart and john deere dealers all with in 30 miles of here

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have a walmart murry and i think its a good mower for 899.99 have had it 7 years only been in the shop 1 time.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just a few things about lawn tractors. Having had extensive experience with Wheel horse,John deer and Cub cadets. Lawn tractors are only as good and only last as long as the care and maintenance that you put in to them. No matter what you get, ride it sensibly and keep the deck clean and with sharp blades. Many used mowers out there can be good deals, rough riding and poor maintenance and the owner blames the kind of mower instead of the treatment that they have neglected to give it. Some only need a few dollars to repair.

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    why can't you change the tower on your deck? A new one is about 50.00, or if you can send me a detailed picture, I probably have a used one you can have. Later Andy

11. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well from what I've heard just about all the "box" store mowers are made by the same company, that includes the green painted ones as well.
    I switch to a zero turn mower about 8 years ago and there is no way I would ever cut with a regular lawn tractor again.
    It will cut your mowing time alot and they actually work better for towing implements as you can direct power as needed to each wheel.
    They do cost a little more, but well worth it.
    Alot of the lawn mowing companies trade there zero turn mowers in each year, so you can get a pretty good deal on them from the dealers.

Just something to think about.

12. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I just bought a snapper rider. Had another one for 7 years. about 1600. Len

13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I like my John Deere but it is older, also a a newer Cub...that for me isn't
    that great. From what I understand MTD builds most them now, including
    Cub and JD.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

I'm with you there. Way faster on cutting the Grass, And that adds up to extra time to fish.
    I am going in the am to Look at a Ferris ZTR 3100.

Pete

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Still cutting with a YR60 Yazoo. Thats a tricycle ride on rear steer pushing a 5 foot deck out front.
    Its real close to my age and I'm chasing 40 this year.
    Not as fast as the new ones but one thing it will do is cut what alot of others wont.

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a husquavarna i bought used and i like it a lot. buy an upper range brand, even if you have to buy it used. walmart and kmart ARE NOT as good....and yes, maintenance is important regardless of brand....a used 14 to 18 horsepower is better than a new 8 to 12 horsepower

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I bought a craftsman five years ago and it still woeks great except for the gearshift is tough to get in rv and my neighbor has a huskvarna thats a sweet hot rod i wanna trade up

18. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    WheelHorse.
    I have a 1975 16hp in my garage tht still runs and
    cuts good .
    My yard I have now is not that big and most of the time I just use a push mower.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If I ever see another Craftsman anything, it will be too soon. I went through 3 mowers before I got one to operate properly, and it quit at the beginning of it's 2nd year. They're customer service stinks both locally and nationally. I sent several emails that were never answered which is one reason this lifelong Craftsman buyer will never step into a Sears store again.

20. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just went to a local auction last night to see if I couldn't pick up an old fridge to keep worms in. Didn't find the firdge but came back with 4 nice tents, 1 large cabin, 1 medium size and a couple of smaller ones for 30 bucks. Also a brand new last years model MTD 20HP rider for 600 bucks. It has never see grass yet but the auctioneer said they test drove it around before bring it inside. Still in the back of the truck so I'll have to get out this morning and unload it.