Riding mower shutting off on me

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by mountiancat, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Was wondering if someone might know a cure to my problem. My 12.5HP Briggs and Stratton mower engine won't run for any long period of time. (e.g. more than a couple of minutes)
    When ya first start it it will run about 5 minutes then shut off abrubtly. It will restart right then but usually only run about a mi nute or until ya try to move then shuts off again.
    The fuel line was ratty so I replaced the line and filter, the tank is clean with new gas in it, and I replaced the plug. So where is my problem??
    Any suggestions welcome cause if I don't get the grass knocked down I'm gonna need a haybine................ THANKS!!:roll_eyes:

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    We have a 2003 Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton that did the same thing. We had to swap out a defective carburetor with a different style of carburetor.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dont know what model yours is but we have a similar one that had a problem kind of like that and it had some very dirty gas in tank that went through the fuel filter and pump and i took every piece of fuel component apart and thouroughly cleaned it put new gasket/diaphram kit and filter and it hasnt acted up since

actually ours is a 13 hp briggs on a jane deere rider:embarassed:

the old cast iron kohler powered models were worthy of the right name
    not these new pot metal glorified mtd contraptions that cant pull .

by the way welcome back jason glad your back on the board and postin
    way to go.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I had a B&S that did the same thing but mine was a short in the seat shut off saftey feature. I have since gone to John Deere lawn tractor and have been very impressed with it.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Alot of it depends on how old it is and if it was maintained on a routine basis.
    Sounds like either carb problem or could be a coil problem.

6. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yeah I'm thinking coil......I cleaned the carb pretty darn good and still doing it. I'm not sure what year it is or the upkeep on it. It was something Smitty bought used while I was gone. It's a 12.5 B&S IC Industrial\Commercial. Thanks for the suggestions fellas!!!

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    coil would be my guess also.

8. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well..................now I was beginning to wonder if I was stupid or what so I decided to check the oil. (i know....) anyway I noticed som oil on the left side towards the front and thought that might be a weird place for oil to be leaking. It wasn't there a little while ago either......the filler is on the rear right side......
    Anyway, it appears to be leaking oil from the carb bowl..???? Wouldn't that have to indicate busted rings or another major internal problem???
    I can't possibly figure out any other way for oil to get to the carb???

9. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    if it has overhead valves than i would guess you need to adjust the push rods in it.other words take the plate off the front of it and your valves are righttheir....becareful not to tighten them to much.just a couple of turns...just a guess if its a overhead valves...

10. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    mine would do the same thing so I thought the magnita was goinng bad so I changed and same thing so I decided to put the old one back on and there is a wire that plugs into the top of it, I forgot to plug it back up and that was the problem it goes to all the safty switches and key switch. If you plug it back in it would start doing it again.

11. A.Williams

A.Williams New Member

State:
    Virginia
    being a lawnmower mechanic change your air filter, If your airfilter gets really good and clogged up it'll suck the oil right out of the case and into the carb. Check all of your safety switches,theres one on the seat, one on the brake one where you engage the blade that is if it dont have an electronic pto. Oh and theres that darn fuel shut off thing on the bottom of the bowl there a pain, with the brake on and locked lift the hood locate the fuel shut off on the bowl needs to be quite for this one, hold onto the fuel shut off with pointerfinger and thumb turn the switch to the on position, you should fill the thing click. Good luck some of them mowers can be a real pain the the A$$

12. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guys....I'll check out the suggestions as soon as I can get back to the dern thing. Thinking about going to beach tommorrow.............would be a shame to cancel on count of the stupid yard!!!! Thanks again guys!!:lol:

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Don't Know If Your Mower Is Equipped With A Low Oil Cut-Off Feature Or Not. If It Has A Sensor @ The Bottom Of The Crankcase You May need To Disconnect/Bypass It, JAT, Elliot

14. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I finally got the dern thing fixed. I put another new plug in it, new air filter, changed the oil, took the carb off and cleaned it again and replaced the bowl gasket, and now she runs again......don't know which one cured the problem but it did. Thanks for all the help fella's, only somewhere like the BOC :smile2: That's why I'm glad to be back and accepted back into this huge family!!!!!!!!

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll betcha it was the carb being dirty.
    All it takes is a tiny speck of something to clog one of those little holes and it will run itself out of gas.
    When I have running problems like you described the first thing I do is clean the carb. I'll pull the carb take it apart and blow compressed air through every hole I find. Works every time.
    If you store the mower for any amount of time I'd suggest putting some sea foam or stabil in the gas and run it for a few minutes before you put it away. That will keep the gas from turning to varnish, and getting flakey.
    Its those little flakes of varnish that clog things up.

16. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    The right way to solve this problem if it happens again is to install a in line briggs spark tester. run the engine watch the spark tester does it loose spark just before it dies? Also when a engine looses spark it shuts off like somebody hit a light switch, no sputter dead off. To diag a fuel problem get a oil can or spray bottle put gas in it. when the engine dies or starts to die spray fuel down the carb. if the engine picks up you know you have a fuel problem.A lot of spark problems are caused by the small ground wire on the coil getting shorted to ground via a chafe. Fuel prob lems are usually due to clogged carb., old fuel, water in fuel, clogged fuel vent cap.

17. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I was having some problems with my weed-eater.
    I figured out a solution.
    Round-Up ;-)