Ridiculous interview questions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Jun 28, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ok here's the setup: I've been working for the same company for 4 and a half years. I put in for a promotion and they took me in today for an interview.

The first question they asked me was... (and I swear to God this is true)

If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?

I work for a moving company, by the way. We dont move landscaping either. I still blew em away with an immediate answer, but really... how will they know what to expect of me from asking what sort of tree I'd be? Gotta love the Human Relations Department.

I answered, "A Willow". First they seek out water more than any other tree and since I love to fish, I constantly seek out water as well. Second, they get huge but still remain very flexible. Third, even though they grow to massive sizes, even the tallest tree grows back toward its roots, Fourth, even in the harshest conditions when youre under the canopy of a willow, there is no hard sun, there is nothing but serenity and a light breeze. Fifth, when a willow gets a nick in a branch, it will not try to repair it. Instead when it finds the problem it stops delivering sap to it, drops the branch, and starts to build the next branch. Illness and trouble do not slow it down. And finally, I have a willow in my backyard that I sit in a swing with my wife every night. It is a part of my day I look forward to cause it is a great place to unwind after a long day away.

I blew the interview AWAY... Thank God for improv skills- but I still cant get over the silly question.

And I had 25 of them today JUST LIKE IT. :tounge_out: :tounge_out:

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Great answer to a silly question.
    Don't think they were expecting that!
    Willow trees were also used by the indians to make arrows with.
    Nice straight ones to kill your enemys with.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA! I should have said that! ROTFL

Another good one is this-

Ole farmers call em Widow Makers!

Indians used to eat the bark to cure ailments. I sure ould use some pills mysef right now.

I'd say willow because thats my favorite tree to hide in when the cops are after me.

ROTFL... I could have had a field day with this.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Boss just called me and said that he thought I should have chosen a maple... cause Im fulla sap.

sonovafrickingrumblegrumblegrumble.

I better get the dang promotion.

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    All great answers to a REALLY stupid question!.

So what was their reactions to your amazing response? Was there a right or wrong answer?

-

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    The interviewers actually said it was the best answer they recieved yet for the question.

I am not sure what the "right" answer would be- I think they just wanted to see how well I do when someone tosses me a curveball. I really wasted no time forming my answer... it truly was immediate. So I am positive it got to what they were looking for.
    Wether or not that equates to a promotion remains to be seen- in 2 weeks time or so.:wink:

I credit my playing around in here for my ability to keep a sharp edge on my thoughts.
    THANKS BOC!

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've used a lot of 6-8-10ft. green willows for bank poles. Chop them off, make the chopped end spear point, strip all the little leaves and stems clear to the tip, leave the top two stems as they form a "Y" Tie your bank line in a loop, run it through its self and hang it over the Y. The fish can't pull your line off the pole. As long as the pole stays wet it will sprout new leaves from the bank you stick it in. Just watch out for BEAVERS, they'll chew them off as fast as you set them out. They bend but won't break.
    Don