Ridiculous injuries while fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by capt theory, Apr 7, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ok, i know everyones got the story about how the just plain screwed up while fishing. the old record in my group of friends is when my old roommate slipped of a railing and fell directly on top of a juvenile blue cat. that spine went right into his back missing the lung by a quarter of an inch. needless to say that thing wasnt coming out so that trip ended at the sallisaw hospital. now for the new record. my fishing buddy was collecting bait sunday morning at zinc dam in tulsa. there was a kid who was fighting a nice channel cat in heavy current and needed help. well zach was helping him pull the cat up an imbankment to get it up to the bridge they were on. the channel flipped and fell back into the boil and the boys rod double over in the current and his line just snapped. now heres the kicker. the 3 ounce weight he was using just rocketed up straight into zachs eye. that kid had a look on his face like he just saw hell. the eyeball came apart into a few peices and the retina detached completely. a trip to the emergency room and a few days later hes starting to get vision back. i was wondering what ended up with him sunday morning because he was supposed to meet me at one of our holes. good excuse huh? now i know you guys got some stories to match.

2. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Nope. I don't know of any story that will touch that one. I will say that after thinking about it, I have been close to some of those wet lead missiles and just never considered a consequense such as that. I am glad to hear that recovery is underway though.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    one buddy of mine barefooted steped on a rotten channel and run the top fin all the way thru his foot.2 weeks later his brotherhad a 25#3 flathead on a trout line .the hook " a 10/0 " was twisted in the corner of the fishes mouth so he just cuts the stagging and leaves the hook in the fish. well back at the dock he steps on the fish getting out of the boat and runs the hook thru his footwith a floping flathead still attatched . one week after that the first guy was in my boat plaaying with a bait knife and fell down aand stabed hisself all the way thru his forearm.we were all about 14 yrs old when this happened .ft gibson lake oklahoma. wagoner hospital new those boys by name on site before that summer was over.

4. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have a strange one that is kind of embarrassing. I was out noodling on a blazing hot summer day last June. My cousin and I were swimming down a muddy stream north of OKC. We came around a bend and saw what looked like a plasic sac hanging from a stick in the middle of this pool. Not thinking much I swam right up to it. I poked it with my stick and it was a whole rotten pig carcass. It turned out the thing that looked like a sac was its gut. When I poked it the carcass came right of the stick. So there I was stuck in the current kicking around with a rotten pig. I was sick for about a week, one of my nipples got a strange infection (I was told it was probably staff), and my cousin came down with dysentery from that nasty infected water.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't begin to match most of those, but one time I was scaling fish and suddenly I couldn't see out of one eye. I could see light and dark, but everything was just a blur. A scale had flown up and landed on my eye so lightly I didn't feel it; and it fit my eye so well it didn't irritate it. It didn't come off as easily as a contact lens, either.

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    youch! who says catfishing isnt an extreme sport. we can mess ourselves up with the best of them huh?

7. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    NOTE TO SELF: dont go fishing with that guy

8. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I better make sure my insurance and aflac cover catfishing injuries.

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Those are some crazy stories. Mine is not so severe, but embarrassing. About 16 years ago i had gotton a new jon boat and set it up with a small outboard. One early morning I took it to a large lake for the first time and launched the boat and took of headin for a good spot. About 30 seconds into the ride a let go of the tiller to grab something, and the motor turned full to one side. The next thing I know the boat is turning tight circles under full power and i couldn't find the tiller handle. So here i am flopin around in this boat going around in circles at full speed, this must have been real funny lookin at me from the shore line. Finally a found the tiller and straightend out the boat.

10. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My son recently put a no: 4 circle hook through my ear he was casting for redfish and swung back to cast the 1 once weight hit me in the temple and the hook went clean through my ear had to cut the hook and push it out .Hurt like hell he being 15 told me just to leave it in it looked cooool go figure

11. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Well I wasnt catfishin but going to try a little bass fishin with my pop.

We get up Christmas Eve morn and meet the nieghbor and his boy, our canoes already loaded up. Im 13 years old at the time. We got the the river and load/launch. My pop and I are what u might call "extra large-butts", anyway, as we're leaving the bank, 1.5 minutes into the trip we high center our canoe on a rock. We tried shimmying off but as we slipped off the rock the canoe flipped completly over.:eek:

There we are sitting in 50 deg h20, fully clothed, 6am, Christmas eve, tackle floating away, our companions short of breath due to hysterical laughing. Dad had a crankbait hanging from his shirt collar and a nice bruise where I whacked him with the paddle on the way overboard.

We didn't catch any fish that morning.:crying:

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I once got a sunburn on the bottom of my feet when having a bad fishing day on the beach. Didn't catch any fish.

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Ouch and Ouch! Man those all sound painful. When I was going to school as OSU we went fishing for sandbass below Carl Blackwell. We were slaying the sandies and having a great time walking the creek below the dam. Well the farther we got downstream I notice something that caught my attention. Just a little ways off the creek bed about a half mile down was the OSU fish hatchery. There were a dozen square ponds and not a soul around. My buddy and I ran across to throw our jigs and rooster tails into these ponds. They were so dang loaded with catfish that every cast we were catching a fish. Now this was NOT the smart thing to be doing since we were tresspassing and stealing fish but we were young and dumb. Well after about ten minutes of fishing we both had about 20 catfish between the two of use all nice 3 pound channel cats. Neither one of us had a stringer with us to take the fish so we untied our shoe laces and used them for stringers. We ran out our there with these fish hoping not to get caught and the whole time were running those fish were slapping against our legs. I was never in so much pain. I had been horned by those catfish so many times as we ran back over to the creek and the walk back to our car. My legs hurt for days from all those dang catfish side fins. It was really stupid to do but I can look back and smile and say "man that was pretty dumb" but fun too.:p

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    That ain't right, it just ain't right!!!

Hmm, wonder if I could at least catch a cat in one of THOSE ponds. Hmmmmm, na, my luck, I'd fish all day and not catch a one.

15. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Nothing so glamorous. Last year, my son and I were on the dam, nice night, and catching fish. Now some folks that fish there use 60-lb mono and 100-lb spiderwire, and don't know how to break off a snag. They just cut the line at the rodtip and leave 40 or 80 yards of the stuff trail in the river. I was winding in a channelcat, and got about 5 yards from the wall, when the fish swam into one of those lines. Hook tangled on the line, fish came off, and I was pi$$ed. Wound it up tight, put the rod over my shoulder, and started back to bust it off, with the sinker, swivel, hook, and snagged line all out of the water. It's a good thing I had my head turned, 'cause the 20-lb big game line let loose at the hook, and the 5-oz no-roll took off with all that stored energy. Before I knew what happened, the sinker hit me in the back of the hand which was right by my ear. Raised a knot the size of a golfball. I still have a good spot of scar tissue under the skin around a tendon.

16. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    My boyfriend hooked his roommate through the ear... Then a few days later hooked me in the chin... He needs to be more careful with his casting!! ;) Now whenever he casts we get the heck out of the way!

17. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    I got one about 12 years ago me and some Buds where fishing the river and were indulging in some illegal tobacco and one of my friends was getting a rising shotgun and fell face first into the river and our lantern busting the globe he still has the scar from that trip...:glare:

18. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was snelling a circle hook earlier today. As I was pulling the knot tight with my teeth I lost my hold and the cirlcle hook caught the bottom of my tongue. Luckily, it stopped just short of the barb. I saw it a positive experience since I got a little taste of how the fish I catch must feel.

19. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Some of those stories sound pretty painful. When I was about 12 my dad took my brother, myself and my cousin fishing at my gradads farmpond. My cousin, being accident prone, rared back to cast and caught his lure w/ trebble hook right in his neck. Ended up in the emergency room to have it removed. The next day dad and I went to the same pond and he caught the exact same type of lure in his shoulder. Grandpa had no problem removing this one with his trusty old pliers after I tried a couple of times with no luck. Looked a little painful!!