ridicualas law

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mack in n.c., Aug 16, 2008.

1. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i was reading the regs book.....this was in there but was not in red so it has been in there a while......you can use a minnow trap for catching crayfish but it has to be under your immediate control.....
    i grew up right on the haw ..a small creek runs through our property and then into the haw......take a minniw trap, slightly enlage the opening, bait with meat, set at dark and get it the next morning,.......great bait for cats and bass........
    you will never catch many crayfish under your immediate control......you pretty mush need to leave these overnight.........whoever thought of this reg has no clue how to catch crayfish in a minnow trap............mack

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Well, how about that. Learn something new everyday.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is pretty funny! Thanks for the tip on how to catch crarfish!

4. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    How do you enlarge the opening?:eek:oooh:

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    it reads just like every other nc regulation, a lot of gray areas. If they let me write the rulebook it would show exactly what you can and cant do and no guessing. I think they just word things that way, so almost everything you do is illegal because the game warden interprets it differently than you do.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...whoever thought of this reg has no clue how to catch crayfish in a minnow trap...."

Perhaps, but they do understand how to stop you from leaving those things out overnight. :wink:

I suspect that one day in NC it jugs will be required to remain under the "immediate control" of the person fishing them. That is just my guess. :wink:

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    heck, you could just buy 1000 yards of cord and tie it around your toe at night:wink:. Just kidding. I find alot of laws are ridiculous. Here in Kansas, they don't even enforce laws, I see people breaking them all the time, sure is bad for those of us who do obey.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....they don't even enforce laws, I see people breaking them all the time...."

Ya, you can't fix stupid. :wink:

Listen, folks can't follow the laws when we have them, so how do you expect them to do whats right without laws? :eek:oooh:

You can not legislate morality, but you can sure write someone a ticket for it!! :smile2:

10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

That's a pretty good guess Wylie. I suspect that one day, in all of the US, fishing itself will be totally outlawed. That's just my guess.

11. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Call in violators when you see them and hopefully someone will respond in time to catch them...of course with the beginning of hunting season that'll probably be harder to do.

Is the crayfish rule for all waters in the state of specific counties/water bodies?

12. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I think you are talking about the law on pg. 28 item #4 under "Taking Of Nongame Fish, Crus..." Just tell them that you were using the law from the 2nd column under "Fish-Trap Restrictions" bullets #3 and explain that you don't know how the crawfish got in there...then it's fine. :smile2: Also let them know that you were following the definition for "attendance" provided in bullet #2 under "Netting Restrictions". Say, "Oh, of course you couldn't see me...I was over there- in the bushes..." :wink: