Rick Hendrick can't buy the number 8!

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by catfishjohn, Jun 28, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    “I'm not sure what their position is or what they want for it”
    Hendrick Motorsports will not be able to purchase the No. 8 from Dale Earnhardt Inc., nor is DEI allowed to sell it to Hendrick or any other team.
    NASCAR on Monday reiterated its long-standing policy that the sanctioning body owns and assigns all car numbers, and spokesman Ramsey Poston said a team cannot sell its car number to another team on its own accord.
    'NASCAR owns the numbers and licenses them to teams on an annual basis,' Poston said. 'A team may allow another team to use the number for that year pending NASCAR's approval.'

http://www.topix.net/nascar/dale-earnhardt-jr/2007/06/hendrick-cant-buy-the-no-8

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    What's the big deal??? A number doesn't win a race.... the driver does!!!! If Jr wanted to keep his number, he should have stayed in the car, LOL!!! Bunch of crybabies!!!! All of them!!!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

If you didn't like it,,,why post/read if its not good...:smile2:

""If Jr wanted to keep his number, he should have stayed in the car, LOL!!! Bunch of crybabies!!!!

I'm not crying!!! I'll back him whoever or whatever number he is!!!"" Quote by JW

Just messin' with you Big Bro!!! :smile2::big_smile::crazy::wink:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think you missunderstood what I meant, LOL!!! I meant the drivers are all crybabies, LOL!!! It seems that NASCAR drivers have all been nuetered, LMAO!!!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree. Their all crybabies,I didn't disagree to that. I can think of several right now...I know what ya meant Brother...LMAO!!! :cool2::smile2:

Oooops,I quoted the last post part wrong,that was me talkin and JW the one up...Sorry!

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Man what am I going to do with that #8 tattooed on my hooo haaa :big_smile:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You and me both...:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You know me!!! I will come up with a sollution for a delima, LOL!!!
    This should help!!!! LMAO!!!

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hendricks keeps modifying those bumpers he wont have enough money to buy gas much less the number 8!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA:smile2::eek:oooh:

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the car owner owns the number.
    unless there has been a rule change lately.

when bill elliot went to everham, one of the contingencies was that ray would buy bills number...and he did...bill drove the 9 car for everham.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil,
    I don't believe the car owners own the car numbers. I found this little excerpt,and I believe this is true about the numbers. I believe they are actually the property of Nascar.
    Glenn
    NASCAR owns the numbers. They lease them to the teams. Every season the teams put in a request for certain numbers. If they had the number the previous season then they get first consideration on the number. If they do not request the number then it is up to NASCAR who gets the number if another team requests it.

12. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey John & Gary,
    Find you a good tattoo artist and have him modify the 8 into a 5.LMAO Any tattoo artist that knows what he's doing should be able to handle that without any problems.
    Glenn

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary,
    I can't believe you have a 8 tattooed on your hooo haaa. All this time I thought you were a big Jeff Gordon fan. Anyway just go have it converted to a 5,and you'll be good to go.
    Glenn

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Very true but people associate the #8 with JR. It's all about money and sponsors. If having a certain number helped out your bank account don't you think you would want to have it as well. Now granite he will probably make any number sale.

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont have his number tattooed on me was just a joke. I have tats but it aint number of race cars

16. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think jr. should have just bought dei and it would all be over. if the 8 is worth that much bud would have loaned him the money to buy out his step-mom. i think he will look good in blue with the 5. kyle petty said last week a number is only a number and change will not hurt the drivers.

17. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I am new here, so forgive me for butting in.
    I have been following this closely for several weeks, even watched the press conference here at work.
    Anyway, frst off, I am NOT a Jr. fan. All of my in-laws are Hendricks fans (mostly Gordon), so I don't hate that group. And, you reall can't argue with ths success Hendricks has had.
    With all of this bein said, I just want to point out is that all this means is that Hendricks can't buy the #8. Nothing has ever been said that Nascar can't give it to them next year.
    While I agree that the number doesn't effect the driver's ability to win, it certainly has a finaincial impact. What about all of the million of Jr fans with all of their #8 memoabilia? I am sure there are plenty who vave the tatoos too.
    When is the last time a driver as big as Jr has changed numbers? Personally I can't recall. Sure it happens, but not to any real big names. The only ones who come to mind are Dale Jarrett and Waltrip, and while I like both of those guys, I don't think they sold nearly as much merchandise as Jr.
    My point is, with Nascar being the huge commercial giant that it is, I don't seem them not giving the 8 to Hendricks. I am sure that Bud (or whoever ends up sponsoring him will weigh in on this too)
    Of course, if there is a new sponsor, I guess maybe they would want a new number to start a new association, to get everyone's mind of the #8 Bud car.
    Who knows?
    Okay, enough for now, just had to share my 2 cents.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Your opinions are always welcome!!! Good to have you aboard!
    Teresa is an evil witch and won't give/sell anything to Jr because they hate each other. Jr is with the best team out there and i'll support him in any number or car.
    Thanks for your comment! :big_smile:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not to break up the party but who cares about a number other then the 43 or the 3. The two most notable numbers ever in NASCAR.

Now to break up this party.
    Tony Eury went to Jr. Motorsports.
    I see a cup team with probally alot of Hendricks input and maybe a R&D car for Hendricks since owners are limited to 4 teams.
    I guess so far Tony Eury Jr. is staying with DEI.

What yall think?

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You are correct. If you remember there was a big movement that wanted the #3 retired. NASCAR refused to retire it. As long as Childress continues to lease the number from NASCAR its his to use or not use on a car by today's standards.
    But this is NASCAR! They could by all rights deny Childress the lease on the number in the future at some point. Same goes with the 8 or any other number.

I dont care what number he has. It's the name. I hope he has the level of success that big E had at some point.