Richter Anchors, who uses them?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Big Dav, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I just got a decent deal on a 14# richer for my 17 foot tracker off Ebay. i will only be using that boat in lakes and possible some very small rivers. So i wont have to contend with a lot of current (I hope). My main issue has always been wind and lake traffic pulling the anchors lose. I was just wonder how good this Richter anchor is? I wanted to try a small (cheaper) one before I spend a lot on a larger one for my bigger boats.
    I have been using 20 -25# river anchors on the Tracker to this point and they are pretty rough on my back. I wanted to hopefully get by with something lighter like this 14# Richter.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

2. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Dave,
    I just started using a Richter today on the SeaArk, and I am impressed. I have the medium size, 20 lbs?, and it holds well. We were down river with a good out going current, in 35 ft of water, and I only had about 60 ft of rope, and it held fine. No dragging before it hooked up. I think you will be happy with it.

Wayne

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Wayne,
    Thanks for the info on the Richter anchor. So how did the madden voyage go on the new boat?:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

4. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use a Richtor on the lake all the time. I find it holds be well in almost all conditions. I don't use it in the river primarily because of debris in the bottom of the river sometimes binds up and you can't get it back. Instead I have gone to a home made design that does nearly the same thing but the tines will bend if it gets snagged up. The funny part is that home made one does not work on the lake in the wind.

For lake use Richtor all the way for faster rivers maybe look at this other design. I had it made for about $30

Attached Files:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    David,
    The Richter is a good anchor. It definitely works better with some chain...W

6. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i started using one last year and ilove it just not good to use in a lot of rocks they will get hung up if not carefull

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    come on dav i wouldnt lead you wrong :angry:

8. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Dave,
    We'll, the maiden voyage was a full success. The hole shot on the boat is impressive to say the least. it goes from standing still to on plane, no bow rise, just, on plane... The E-tec is a wonderful motor. The boat rides and drives great. Didn't get a chance to hit any rough water, but a few intentional cuts across another boat wake, and the boat never twitched. Ride was comfortable the whole way. Top speed was 43 mph at 5200 RPM. The motor is rated to 5850 RPM so after the double oil period it may come up a little. It currently has a 17 pitch prop, but I may try a 19 later. The nose heavy boat requires full trim for max performance, but no porpoising. May look into a prop with a little more bow rise. The fishing room in this boat is fantastic, my son and I had a foot race from the chairs to the rods a couple of times. LOL. And yes, we did slime and bloody the boat. We caught fish of 7,10,15 20, 24, and 50. All in all, a great day and a great boat. Still haven't got a pic with the top up, it was a beautiful day, and enjoyed the sun..

Attached Images:
    [

Attached Files:

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Don't be :angry: with me.:big_smile:
    I wasn't doubting what you told me. Also could not find the paper I wrote the type anchor you told me about down on.:sad2: Thought it was the Richter but could not remember for sure. I hadn't ever heard of them until you told me about them. How the rod holder mounts work out for you?

Wayne, that for the report on the boat. The face full of smile you posted says it all.:big_smile: Did you do any type of jack plate? I wounder if that might give you a little more trim if needed?

Thanks
    David

10. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Yeah, the boat has a 6 inch pro-jacker HP. I watched the motor at WOT, and the Anti-cavitation plate is right on top of the water were it should be, so the motor height looks good. BTW, my son was driving while I did that. LOL

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    OK,:smile2: glad you had someone along to drive and did not try that all by yourself.:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

Thanks
    David

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The richter style anchor is hard to beat. I have 3 home made richter style anchors that bend when hung up in under water cables and stuff. I also use about 4ft of 3/8" chain and when the anchor is hung up I pull the boat forward and the rope and chain slide down the length of the anchor and pulls from the bottom. Works REAL good on the Mississippi, but doesnt work real good on just sand bottoms.

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Well after a couple of days of waiting the UPS man (my best friend as of late) brought by a 25 # Richter I won on Ebay the other day. I will use the smaller one for my tracker and lakes and hopefully the 25# will work well in river when I get to start fishing them.:big_smile: I hope these anchors are worth the price, this last one cost me almost $75 with the sky high shipping.:angry: Had a good deal on it until I added in the shipping cost. I guess I would have paid about that for shipping regardless.:roll_eyes:

Thanks
    David

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dave, have you considered an Ironwood Pacific "anchor lift system"? Most of the BOC guys I've fished with or have been around use them and it led to me getting one for the new boat. No more anchor snatching in 30'-50' water, let the ball do the work!

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have seen post about them but never seen or used one in person. I figured with my luck I would have the rope in the prop the first try.:smile2::sad2::crazy:
    Do they work that well? My back would greatly thank me for any relief an item like that could possibly provide. I have considered the electric anchor retrieval devices. I was looking at the ones made just for retrieving the anchor, not like the Minn Kota units that drop and retrieve the anchor. The down side to those units were cost and space to mount them.:sad2:

Thanks
    David

16. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dave, unfortunately this has happened to a few people and I know one of them personally. Not a pretty sight, boat capsized and was a total loss. He had insurance though!

[/QUOTE] Do they work that well?[QUOTE/]

Yes they do. Go to the Ironwood Pacific website and checkout the demo video they have on there. I believe you'd like these. They work good river fishing in current. I don't know how they'd work in a lake though. I know of a couple guys that strictly lake fish and they use an electric winch anchor, front and rear.

Good night,
    Brandon

17. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm using two 25# richter anchors on my 25 foot pontoon. They are heavy but they do hold even in a tough wind. I run a 3 foot piece of chain off the anchor tied into 150' of anchor rope. The chain is important to get the anchor to dig in. Letting out a lot of anchor rope is also important on a windy day. I'm planning on making my anchor ropes 200' next summer.

18. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I made some, kind of like that but it has a sliding ring on it that will move to the front to unsnag it if need be.

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    can u show some pics of these homemade anchors???

20. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i'll try to post pics of mine.