Richmond

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by SURFPREP, Oct 8, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    I am coming up from KY where I do a lot of catfishing. I have a 5 year old grandson that I want to introduce to catfishing.

Where is a could starting location for him in Richmond.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

2. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Bill -
    From a boat or from the bank? I wade and fish at Pony Pasture rapids and the Pipeline (downtown). Both are a little much for a five year old. Plus the wading season has ended.

This time of year the best bank fishing is down at Dutch Gap. There's a launch ramp there, should be easy to find via Google etc.

There's good bank fishing for bluegills at Pump House Park at Maymount and the lake at the University of Richmond. Both offer good fishing experiences for a five year old. Google them.

You should also read the forum titled Virginia River Talk. More there about the James River.

If you still need info let me know. I have a seven year old granddaughter who fishes with me occasinally.

3. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    Surfprep if you want to do a trip I can help you. I fish the Lower James for big blues. You can target big or small, or both. Now till spring is a great time for fishing. These fish really turn on in cold water.