Richmond Newbie Wants in on the Action

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by RVACatter, Oct 10, 2009.

1. RVACatter

RVACatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Gentlemen (and Ladies?),

I just moved to Richmond two months ago from Harrisonburg and my catfish itch is becoming uncontrollable! I'm heading up to Greentop to get some gear, but I'm not sure where to go after that. I've heard a few rumblings (due to my lack of meeting any fishermen here yet...) about Osborne Landing, Deep Bottom, Dutch Gap (thanks to ramon06's threads), and Pony Pastures. I don't have a boat so it'll be bank fishing for me!

Where should I go? What should I do? Tackle recommendations? I'm probably going to use a Carolina Rig with 2oz weight and 40lb, 3ft leader.

Finally (shew... this is a lot, I know...) what is up with these elusive James River Blue Crabs??? I'd love to land a pot of them to bring home. Ideas???

Thanks, and I'm glad to be a part of the James River catfishing crew!!!

-Thomas

2. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    I can not answer any of your questions but i can welcome you to the BOC.

3. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the BOC Thomas. I fish there some and I would say weight up 10 0z, line no less than 40lbs, and good strong baitcasters. If you could get up with romon I'm sure he can put you on them cause he has no problem catchn them.

Chris

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. RVACatter

RVACatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone! I just got back from Greentop with supplies (and a renewed lisence) and I'll be heading to the river tonight!!! Reports tomorrow...
    -Thomas

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thomas Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

6. RVACatter

RVACatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just got back from a night at Ancarrow's Landing just south of downtown Richmond. Nothing but one good bite. I was using Shad pieces on a Carolina Rig (5/0 Circle Hook, 3ft 20lb leader, egg weight, 20lb line). I had one nice cat toying with it and bent the rods a few times, but didn't take. My buddy was using the same set-up with stink bait and nothing going as well.

Any suggestions?

-Thomas

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anncarrow is about a good a place as I know of for Spring time eater Cat action. 1000's of catfish follow the shad and herring upstream during the spring migration. Quite easy to catch 100 pounds of eaters and a few big ones any given night from mid march - April. After that, the cats move back downstream. I would suggest following Jason around like a puppy down at Dutch Gap and do what you did at Anncarrow, maybe add a little more weight to your line. Good luck.

8. RVACatter

RVACatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Alright, so I THINK I know where Dutch Gap is, but I'm not willing to drive the 20 miles to just get lost and frustrated. Anyone have any directions to a fishing area? I really appreciate the help!

9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would up those weights to 3-5 oz if you're bank fishing. I cant get any good distance on my casts or hold bottom unless its 3-5. I own 6 and 8oz but Im scared to try to cast with one of those lol. Hell 70% the current still drags my 4 oz and 5 oz weights. As far as line, I personally use braid. 50LB, 65LB and just recently added 80LB Power Pro to my arsenal and am considering the 150LB for my Heavy set ups. I use a roll of 60LB Mono for my leaders. I always use heavy bottom rigs due to all the trees and snags but since my friend has a boat now the past few trips I have just carolina rigged with 2 oz weights, a bead and slinker slide. I use MH to H rods with good strong baitcasters and Spinning Combos. I use circles in 6/0, 8/0, and occassionally 9/0 and 10/0 Circles and Kahles when Im experimenting. Alot of bait shops sell frozen shad, frozen eels, live eels and minnows and goldfish. I know fresh is better but I havent tried a cast net. I catch my own sunfish and freeze them, use them live or cut them fresh. Ummm I do alot of experimenting, I just try new spots and just use what I know and I have been pretty lucky but am in no way an expert.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Leave Richmond heading south on I 95.

Take route 10 East Exit. Go 1/4 mile or so and turn left at a stop light that has the Brown Boat Ramp sign that says Dutch Gap. Follow road to the ramp. Can't miss it.

11. RVACatter

RVACatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks ramon06 and Paraguayguy. I went out today, down Osborne Rd. Where the WaWa is on Jeff Davis Hwy just up from Castaway Sporting Goods. I headed down the river bank from the boat ramp.

Wasn't a good day. I caught a small (4in long) catfish, but atleast a cat!!! Other than that, I broke my 7ft Spinner Rod that's been around for over a decade in four places (got hung, pulled too hard). That left me with my little rod I use for bass. Well, I threw a 1oz egg weight Carolina Rig on it and an 8/0 Circle. Slowly moved down the bank. Didn't catch a thing. I did find a fish carcass that had been left there. Nice cat, probably 15lbs when alive. I hate it when people do that. I used cut shad, by the way.

I'd love to hook up with some local BOC Brothers soon, especially with a boat, and learn the ropes. I'm definitely out trying, but feel like I'm treading water.

Hopefully I can buy a nice heavy baitcaster H-action in a few weeks! I also need some rod-holders!!!

Maybe we could start up a "Catfish Fry-Days" and catch some monsters then fry up some eaters! :smile2::big_smile:
    I hope everyone had a great weekend fishing!! I may make it out again tomorrow, since I have off work for Columbus discovering the Caribbean! :crazy:.

Anyway, shoot me a pm or leave some wisdom if you wanna go fishin' or share some knowledge!!

Tight Lines All,
    Thomas