Rice?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by caneycat, Nov 17, 2007.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    My dad got some rice from a farmer friend and i am souring some and i was hopeing yall might now if it is a good chum?

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It ought to work as well as any grain, Soybeans are most popular around here, but there are some guys doing real well with corn or wheat. If it makes you gag, it is probably good.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think it would draw in the bait fish and that would draw in the cats. It might work as a chum though. Let us know how it works for you.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You probably don't need to let it sour since rice takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with.
    It ought to take on flavor while just letting it stand in liquid to swell.
    Rice is pretty neutral tasting.
    I'm thinking fish juice.
    Someone last winter suggested using shrimp flavoring from ramen noodles.
    I guess I forgot to try that this summer.
    good luck
    just

5. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Although it is illegal to chum here in California, I am curious to see how this works for you.
    Linz

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just be sure to cook the rice first; if a cat eats very much uncooked rice, it will swell up enough to kill it.

7. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    When you say cook what do you mean? I have it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid with 3 to 4 inches of water covering the top of the rice.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

It won't need cooked Dylan; Jerry is thinking of dried rice, the rice you're souring has already swelled.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Right, as long as it has already swelled, it's safe to use.

10. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    This stuff is fresh out of the field, It still has the husk on it!

11. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    juice it some too if you want/..

shrimp juice or clam juice from the stored and let it sit some.will work.

I freeze mine in a 1/2 gal bucket with a rope and tie it to the end of boat or tossin river..

good luk...........

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A great chum is dry dog food. It floats...and when they figure out theres food up there...the channel will be breaking the surface to get to it.

A shiner or small perch under a bobber works extremely well in this instance.

Just rig it shallow...about 4" below the float...and cast out amongst where they're breaking the top.

The fish don't have to be used to this application to benefit from it...it's amazing how quickly they figure it out in a pond or small lake.

Just be sure you throw the dogfood in...a large coffee can or so at a time... upwind from you...so the food will drift towards you on the surface instead of away.

Dogfood can also be used in current by putting it in a burlap or mesh sack...which allows particles to wash downstream...thereby attracting catfish towards your position.

Just about anything will work...we also save old fish carcasses after we fillet them and put them in the bag as well.

If shad are plentiful...they work too. Just beat the bag with a hammer to get the juices flowing before you drop it in...which sometimes we attach the bag to our anchor cord.

From my experience...trout is the best...those nasty things stink to hog heaven and are even more slimy and oily than a shad.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    AT LAST---a good use for trout!!

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I hear ya...I despise trout as a food source. The only way I remotely even care to eat a trout is baked whole...especially if it's done on a campfire in a dutch oven...or wrapped in foil.

And even then...I wouldn't cook it myself. All it means is that I MIGHT not complain very much when my wife makes it for dinner.

But the bright spot to that is that if I don't bring any home...she won't have any to cook...Lol.

I only catch what I'll be needing for catfish bait...and that's it! :wink:

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hehe, do they remind you of a big creek chub too?

16. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    the rice will attract the bait fish, and that attracts cats, and bass and crappie... it works really well, but i never really caught any big fish with it, but if your looking to get bait close enough to cast net, use rice.