Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Is it ok to leave the rib bones in the bluegill fillet for my cutbait I'm using for channel cats? Any Help well appreciated! Smitty
good question ya pose there. i have always just cut it up and never thougt twice bout it. to me i whouldnt even worry bout the rib bones.

·
Floyd
4,927 Posts
When I am using cut bluegill I always scale and fillet off both sides and if the rib bones are in it I will cut them away . I know this is not the way most do it , but I fished just chunks next to fillets and the fillets got more bites which produced more fish . I only do this on bluegills for channels . If fishing a gill for flatheads I leave whole and alive but use a pair of scissors to trim off about an 1/8 inch of the tail . That causes the gill to swim with more stress and releases the gills oils quicker . If using shad for cut bait I will just chunk it up and use it all except the tail .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info brothers, I was just curious, I fished some testerday on the Mississippi river and only a few nibbles and caught nothing, I thought maybe the bones could have had difference, now I will have more confidence in using fillets with bones in them. The river was up over a foot with all the past rains here in northern IL. Smitty

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for the info brothers, I was just curious, I fished some testerday on the Mississippi river and only a few nibbles and caught nothing, I thought maybe the bones could have had difference, now I will have more confidence in using fillets with bones in them. The river was up over a foot with all the past rains here in northern IL. Smitty
yeah dan , its easy to over think things sometimes , your bait was fine , if you were just getting nibbles its cuz they were '' fiddlers '' . keep changing locations , remember these 3 words location , location , location ! be agressive in your search for for more and bigger fish and i promise you will find that location is the the most important part of the puzzle .

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
no offense to anyone or their methods, heck whatever works for you, ya know!

I see absolutely no reason to debone catfish bait. they eat these foods wild and whole with no problem whatsoever.they eat clams and snails shell and all, and crawdads too. there's a reason they have tough powerfull mouths and jaws. filleting the fish out might make it easier for small fish to inhale a larger bait, but thats all I can think of. I use cutbait like this,toss on cutting board and cut into chunks,done. On gills it's toss on cutting board and cut from top of head to just infront of anal opening, toss out tail section and bait up with head and leaking gut pouch, hang on.

Like I said I see no reason to fillet out my fish bait, but others might and if it works for you more power to ya. Nice thing about fishing, the only wrong way to do it is not to do it at all!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My buddy and I always use blue gill for channels, when he supplies the bait he always scales and fillets the gills, when it's up to me I just cut them into two or three pieces. One night we both brought bait and I couldn't see that one worked any better or worse than the other.

As has already been stated, they're used to eating things that has all that stuff on them.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
When I am using cut bluegill I always scale and fillet off both sides and if the rib bones are in it I will cut them away . I know this is not the way most do it , but I fished just chunks next to fillets and the fillets got more bites which produced more fish . I only do this on bluegills for channels . If fishing a gill for flatheads I leave whole and alive but use a pair of scissors to trim off about an 1/8 inch of the tail . That causes the gill to swim with more stress and releases the gills oils quicker . If using shad for cut bait I will just chunk it up and use it all except the tail .
I do like most said but you got to agree Floyd makes a good point! fillets would def put out more smell and oil so i am def going to start doing that Thanks Floyd good post.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just use whatever way gives you the most confidence in catching fish. You will try much harder to catch them if you really believe the bait you are using is going to do the job. For me thats chunks. All cut bait is just that though cut so you should get all the oils and scent out of fillets or chunks. Everyone has their preference and nobody is wrong.
good luck.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
you can if you want but no reason. i channel fish alot and catch from 50-100 every year. mostly on shad and bluegills. when i use bluegills i cut them into 3-4 pieces depending on size. cut off head then gut area into 1 or two pieces then the meat chunk behind gut. toss out tail.

the head catches on ave more and some bigger fish. hook through eyes or in mouth out top of skull. stays on through 2-3 fish sometimes.

i do remove the dorsal fin though. the sharp bones in it. but the fish as small as a pound gobble up these chunks without a nitch. de boning is more time my bait could be in the water. its your prefference. but not needed.

i cut off dorsal on the gill chop it into pieces and toss on hook and throw out. usually got bites within 15-30 min in good locations. i dont remove scales bones fillets or anything. ive had 3 lb channeld come in the boat with 5"gills on the hook as flathead bait. 1/2 swollowed head first fins and all alive. thats proved to me nothing needed to be done to bait.

when i drift with shad same deal. just cut into chunks and throw out. an in the past to prove to a friend of mine i used 4/5" whole shad. and caught 2 lbers on them. if there feeding. it doesnt matter.

on light nights. then you might have to test out things. but most times they will eat any chunk of native fish in the water.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I use gills as is....I prefere them on the smaller size for channels, about 4". Cut from the top of the head to the belly behind the gills and include the gut pocket. Have also used the tail pieces and other cuts but not with the same success as the heads. I hook them through the mouth using circle hooks.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
no offense to anyone or their methods, heck whatever works for you, ya know!

I see absolutely no reason to debone catfish bait. they eat these foods wild and whole with no problem whatsoever.they eat clams and snails shell and all, and crawdads too. there's a reason they have tough powerfull mouths and jaws. filleting the fish out might make it easier for small fish to inhale a larger bait, but thats all I can think of. I use cutbait like this,toss on cutting board and cut into chunks,done. On gills it's toss on cutting board and cut from top of head to just infront of anal opening, toss out tail section and bait up with head and leaking gut pouch, hang on.

Like I said I see no reason to fillet out my fish bait, but others might and if it works for you more power to ya. Nice thing about fishing, the only wrong way to do it is not to do it at all!

Pretty much the way I see it too, No sense makin it rocket science.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.