Rhodhiss 9.5.08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mifit98, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Got out for a couple of hours this morning and fished from 11 AM - 1 PM. Ran upriver past Huffman Bridge nearly to where the John's River dumps into LRK.

Water temp was 75, color was muddy and wind was variable. Bait was bream fillets marinated in Dead Red Spray. Caught one 6 lb. channel cat.

2. backwaterwilly

backwaterwilly New Member

State:
    nc
    I am fairly new to this lake..Is it possible to travel from the Johns River ramp on hwy 18 to Huffmans bridge..I have heard the water shallows then others tell me it is fine as long as the water level is avg. pond..thanks

3. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    You sure can get to lake Rhoadhiss from the ramp on 18,just go slow and watch for low water in some places,best to go when water is clear for the first couple of times,have fun and happy fishing:roll_eyes:

4. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Tony, it gets shallow in spots but you can make it through at average water level. When you come out of JR and turn left (downstream) the channel hugs the left bank. As you approach the first turn, the channel cuts over to the right bank (outside edge of the turn). After that its 4-9 feet deep until just before the bridge.

However, when the water gets low I cannot get all the way down John's River, so be careful until you run the stretch a few times.

Hope that helps.:wink:

5. Jonathan 23

Jonathan 23 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey guys. Do yall know anygood places to fish from the land at rhodhiss? I dont have a boat yet plan on having one by the end of the year.

6. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Johnathan, I have never fished from the bank so I don't know how good these spots are...so take this information for whatever it's worth.

While on LKR in the boat, I frequently see folks bank fishing from the following places: 1) Huffman Bridge - both on the north and south bank 2) Castle Bridge boat landing - north bank only and 3) Potato Creek boat landing - also north bank only.

I don't know if they're fishing for cats or what but those seem to be popular spots that are available to the public. I see lots of other places set up for bank fishing (chairs, shelters, fire pits, etc.) but all of them are on private land and you'd probably have to get permission to use them.

Hope this helps.

Mac

7. Jonathan 23

Jonathan 23 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I live just a few minutes from Castle Bridge. I might go on out there tommor and see what you can catch out there.