Rhinoliner, or not!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Wabash River Bear, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well fellas, I got a rude awakening yesterday. I was in hopes of having the interior of my new boat coated. I did the usual, made a few calls, got the usual, we need to see it. So I drug the boat to a couple different places. WOW! $800.00 to do a 1652 with 20" sides. I was thinking maybe $300.00. LOL. I even offered to do the prep work myself, Nah that just would'nt do either. Product liability ya know. So I thought I might go and do it myself, out comes the Ba$$Pro catalog, hmmm lets see I'll be doing roughly 150 sq. ft., Tuff Coat=$68.00 a gal. x 4, Self etching primer=$16.00 a qt. x 2, Foam roller covers=$7.00 each x 2, 40 grit sand paper=$5.00, Band Aids=$2.29, A weekend of knee bruising, elbow throbbing, finger cramping, and knuckle busting= Priceless! Yes, I talked myself out of it. I'm gonna lay down some 1-1/2" foam between the ribs and cover it with 1/8" aluminum painted o.d. green with sand mixed in it. Much quicker, cheaper, easier, and safer!:cool2:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    800 bucks, man that is outrageous. I would have never imagined that it would be that much.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    really that dont sound too bad to me. i just had a 8 ft. truck bed done and it cost 550.00. lot more materials in a boat an lots more work to it also. you will be lucky to get out for 400.00 if you do it yourself and thats not counting the cost of the foam or aluminum your talking about using. a big plus to the spray in on a boat would be noise damping to me. you ever notice someone across the lake putting the anchor in a boat and hear it for 3 miles....lol. i believe those fish can hear that too. of coarse i never caught one with ears....lol. on the other hand nothing like a good do it yourself project. good luck on it.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've sworn off decks in jons...they make it impossible to do a decent washdown, and trap all kinds of stuff you'd rather not keep.

5. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    funny you should mention the 4 gallons of tuff coat... I'm going that route right now on my pontoon. have it all preped but can't find a nice low wind day to lay down the primer.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have a 24' SeaArk that was foam filled in between the ribs in the floor and an aluminum floor riveted down over that with an extended front deck added and than the entire inside of the boat is coated with Line-X which is like rhino lining but a little cheaper. You will not regret having it done as far as sound proofing and making a non-skid surface on the aluminum.

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have a Nissan Frontier and 2 years ago it was goiong to be over 425$ to do the bed. Rhino is good stuff thow, I sell garage organizers at work and we get Rhino to spray our work tops and they are indestructable{for the most part}. After we coat them I sell 6' tops for 300$. They sell like crazy.

8. Gram-aw

Gram-aw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My dad is looking to put some Rhino in his jon boat. Catfishrus, where did you get your truck bed done? Or does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to have this done, anywhere in the Concord/Charlotte area?

9. tator

tator New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I just bought a new express 1452 and called about a 4x10 sheet of .100 ga. of aluminum for my floor it was going to be 271.25 then called rhino linning that was 600.00 then called line x that was 750.00 all of that hurt my fellings :angry: so I believe I will go with plywood and carpet for about 250.00:big_smile:

10. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Should look at that Ultra Tuff Coat... can get at Bass Pro or Cabelas.

http://www.ultratuff.net/utmindex.htm

Mark and a few others are using the eco stuff, but I'm pretty sure this is the same since both websites are using the same pictures for the most part.

Well the goal is to get this floor rolled out this weekend... I'll have pics to show soon!

11. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I just posted a similar topic about floor boats not too long ago.If your limited on budget...i would go with Herculiner.They are about $80 for the kit(Black) and about $139 for either the gray,red or white color.I wouls say $300 should just about do it.Call Napa,autozone,pepboys.They usually carry it,if not can order it for you

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I put down a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/4" tread brite aluminum in the floor of my 1648 Alumacraft. I had to get the metal shop to shear 3/4" off of one side to get it to fit. I painted it with spray self etching automotive primer before installation. Once in the boat I roller and brush painted all the deck surfaces with green, garage floor epoxy mixed with silica grit (sand).
    Going on one year now and I am very pleased. It provides a non-skid surface, it easy to touch up, and it washes clean with a little blast from the hose and a stiff brush. The only down side is that the surface is a little abrasive. It can be hard on body parts if you kneel on the deck or fall down. Also the bottoms of tackle boxes, bait tanks, coolers, ect. will suffer some if they are rested directly on the deck. However if you glue a couple of strips of rubber mat on the bottom of an object it protects it and it is like it is welded to the deck.