Rhino Lining for keel shield?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by GMC FishHauler, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I was wondering if this idea would work. there are parts of my keel that are chipped down to where i can see the fiberglass weave. I went and put a light on the inside of boat and there are no holes all the way thru and the boat does not take on any water, but i think that exposing the glass to water over time would probably weaken it. Any ideas on a cheaper fix? I did not want to spend hundreds on a keel shield but i guess i can if i have to.

2. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I dont know if the Rino would take the beating as well as the shield. I would open the wallet and use a true keel shield if I were you. Good luck on whatever you decide.

3. dwclark

dwclark New Member

State:
    texas
    a friend of mine put rhino on his and it did not work well at all

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For a fiberglass or wood hull, one of the best things you can put on not only a Small part but the whole hull bottom of the hull is 3 or 4 coats of epoxy loaded with graphite powder. It makes a slick jet black bottom that doesnt need painting and will take on oyster beds without completely getting its butt whipped.

Graphite loaded epoxy is bad to the bone stuff. The graphite is cheap.
    How bad? Try to hurt it with a sander.
    Make sure you get it like you want it before it sets up.

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    please point me in the right direction on where to get that epoxy. How much will it cost? How hard is it to put on a boat on the trailer? I found some leaks in the hull, places on the keel, will this seal the whole bottom if i put it on there?
    thanks alot

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Keelshield is an excellent product but its not a corrective product.
    If you have issues, fix them first before using the Keelshield.

If you have holes in the fiberglass it needs to be patched with fiberglass and epoxy from the inside as well as the outside.

You buy marine grade epoxy at several places and online.
    You can also buy the graphite powder online.

There are different load densities for the graphite. Some people go with a progressive load over several coats.

Prep is going to be the big thing.
    Belly up the boat and sanding.

Its not bullet proof. Its not going to make you be able to run your boat up into gravel without any effect.
    It doesnt provide any cushion. Its just a highly abrasive resistant coating.
    Beaching in sand isnt going to touch it. Probally one of the worst things I've ever had to put sandpaper to was graphite loaded epoxy.

7. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    this might sound dumb, but how do i belly up the boat?
    i do not have any idea on how to get this big heavy boat off of the trailer and turned over for these repairs. Then how do i get it back on the trailer?