Rhichard (223 Full Metal Jacket)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Oct 23, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Richard, just a question and ya don't have to answer if it is personal. You have mentioned a couple times you weld. I live in a rural area with a lot of that kind of work needing to be done. Here about 4 years ago a logging truck, full, pulling a loaded pup lost the pup at the hitch. It crossed the road and head on into a car killing a woman and kid. They went after the logging company and the welder, where the hitch broke from his welding job. (He was a good welder) Of course they lost and the settlement was very high. That welder can't afford toilet paper now, the logging company is out of business.

Obviously the factory hitch failed the first time for it to be fixed again. Don't know what's going on, don't make any difference, it doesn't change anything. Welders now are getting scarce as hen's teeth around here. They just pulled the plug on their shops and walked away. My question is are your insurance premiums high? Do you adjust your fees to adequately cover yourself and because of experience are you pretty picky about what you will do? Thanks John.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Before I went on disability, I ran my own welding shop. I still have all the equipment. On jobs that were real questionable, I only took cash and gave no reciet. I know some people might consider that wrong, but prove I welded it. Besides CASH is always nice.

Today people are sue crazy. What ever happened to accidents?? They do happen, some things just happen and there is not much you can do. Insurance rates have always been high on welders. Portable welding, lots of fires, in new construction and old.

An example of accidents and peoples time to go, happened again this summer. In LaPorte,Indiana we have a bandstand in Fox Park. In the summer they have band concerts on Wednesday nights. Its a nice bandstand with wood and concrete benches circleing it. Nice setting. This summer one nite, when people were getting ready for it, and picking there seats. A dead tree limb fell and killed this man sitting on one of those benches. Now that has never happened before, a real freak accident. It surley was that mans time to go. When its your time, its your time.

I drove threw the park this weekend and they have cut down at least 20 old oak trees. I'll bet it is to do with that accident. Things happen, it's sad but true.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you know, ive got a bunch of welders and pipefitters working on my plant as i type. i dont think they are too worried about it. i also dont think they have heard of these lawsuits.
    i think that trying to get $ for someone's death (most of the time) just shows how shallow ppl are. like you could really put a price tag on a loved one.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    J.D. I couldnt agree more to a point however there are times where suing when there is a death can help. Last year my Mother in Law died. She was in the hosp. to get her knee replaced and had a bad heart to begin with but she was given the go ahead from her heart Dr. After the surgery they put her in a room with nothing to monitor her vitals and she passed then was found by someone in the hosp. and they revived her but didnt know how long she was "dead". She was put on life support for a couple of days but deemed brain dead so they pulled the plug.

I know that this is different from welding but we (as in the family) convinced my Father in Law to sue the hosp. for neglegt. Will he see anything I dont know cause the case is ongoing also he isnt suing for millions I think mainly he is suing for the cost for her surgery and some pain and suffering. That hosp. needs to be spanked IMHO personally if they would have done that to me I would be after millions enough to shut them down if need be. This hosp. has that stigma with it also ask anyone in Newark, Oh or anyone that has been in this hosp and they will tell you they wouldnt go there if they had the choice.

5. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have people come in on a daily basic wanting everything from axles shortend to their cars frames welded up..I simply tell them them if I fixed it and it broke later on and ended up killing someone that I would loose everything I had..and that's it I wont do it..but..honestly we are a LLC which I think would protect us from loosing our shirts but i'm not wanting to take the chance..

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They had the same thing happen in Alberquerque ,only it was the sidestakes that let a load of logs fall onto a car killing the person. I just work for someone under thier Ins. I build barns and things of the like now and thats enough for me. I have done some welding on hitches and trailer toungs and I was never worried about being sued ,just never crossed my mind. As said in an earlier post ,folksare too sue happy these days. Goes along with bein too lazy to earn a living I think wanting something for nothing.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary, there is a difference between an accident and negligence. That logging outfit and welder couldn't control that situation and I am more than sure, if they could do something to change it they obviously would. Your Mother-in-law is also a shame. However, the folks taking care of her had her as a "Patient". There are boni fide responsibilities they have in that situation. Not being a lawyer here, and just offering "MY" opinion, they screwed up or their system did. The only way to help in these kinds of cases is to allow the legality of the system to determine the wrongful parties, if there are any. That is what juries are for. They can screw things up too nowadays but I would rather have 12 people who are made to understand what happened determine what or who is the cause here.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Good point John didnt think of it that way

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can probally guess the failure and probally be right at who was at fault just because of what it was that was broke and what its made from.

We see this alot in farming. The equipment is big, the steel is thick. The welding machines dont get hot enough. It turns out looking like a pretty weld but its more less a surface weld. The same thing often gets welded several times before you can take it out of service long enough to get it somewhere that has the capabilty.
    This equipment today often requires more then a 200 amp welder which is what most people have.

Something that weighs 80,000 pounds and is travelling on the same highway as 2 ton cars should have some accountability as to who is and isnt qualified to burn on them or turn a wrench on them.

The FAA does it.