Rewiring boat diagram, does this look right?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by wpsatisfide, Mar 15, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive got a 16 foot center console fiberglass boat. It has a radio, bilge pump, aerator, lights, fishfinder. My wiring is terrible right now. Everything looks dryrotted and Im already having some problems such as front light doesnt work, fishfinder works sometimes.

Anyway I think diagram shows what im planning, just not sure if throttle has any wiring running to it or not. Let me know if it looks like im missing anything and if this will work fine.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kevin, you should run from the battery to a distribution block. Install a master circuit breaker at the battery end, with individual fuses of appropriate size to each individual circuit (radio, depth finder, lighting). If everything depends on one circuit, one fuse, then if one fuse goes, everything goes. The capacity of the master circuit breaker would depend on the total amp draw of all circuits.
    I'm sure Bobpaul and Bubbakat can add to this.

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    My boat was built by johnny cash - one piece at a time! And, the wireing is a bit of everything. Where can a guy get the proper fusebox/fuses and perhaps a manuel on how a guy might wire a jon boat. I have lights, bilge, toller, areator for livewell and would like timer and perhaps a second areator to provide circular current for shad/skippies, communication radio, two sonars, and well your thought of breakers and consistant wireing makes sense with 3 batteries. I bought the boat like this. Hannibal Mike HELP!!!!!!!!!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Tommy is right on the fuse panel. I rewired mine and used a blade type fuse panel I bought I think at bass pro or some outboard shop. I will find that paper I have and post the proper color code for marine use. Always sorder (sp)the ends and heat shrink or liquid tape them. Those little crimp barrel connectors are junk to a boat exposed to water.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks guys! Guess i should have labeled that fuse panel instead of fuse. It has seperate fuses and switches for all my different items, except the radio and fishfinder which each came with their own. I have also installed a seperate Switch for the radio. I was planning on running one main line from battery to right before the fuse panel and soldering + taping (liquid taping thanks bubba) smaller diameter wires to each of my fuse/switches.

I am not sure what a distribution block is, im assuming my fuse/switch panel deal. So going on this my diagram looks correct? Ive got 4 wires coming from the throttle. I am not sure what these 4 wires are. Guessing one is trim up, one trim down and other is throttle. Still leaves me one unkown. Would i be right in thinking that these 3 (hopefully unknown to, making 4) run directly to the outboard motor?

7. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Just reasoned out my unknown from throttle has to be my ignition. Still would be nice and easy if all 4 of the throttle wires run to my outboard :rolleyes:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What color are they?

9. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    All black. One running directly into the throttle lever is kind of flat and twisty (looks like 2 round wires in one casing). Then there are 2 smaller wires each in a hard casing about size of a pencil and the last one runs near the kill switch and is pinky size

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would trace those down and see where they are hooked. TRhat has me stumped.:eek: :confused:

11. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I looked and the 2 pencil size stiff ones run to the motor itself, I am pretty sure they are the throttle up/down. Im also pretty sure that the one going into the throttle lever is the throttle cable(s) and other has to be ignition.

Pretty sure of all this because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Bubba,

I am gonna start ripping stuff out slowly but surely tomorrow. Will let you know where they go as I get to them. I dont have much daylight after work so hope to do most of this a little at a time and then saturday. Dont worry I know ill be asking for help some more :)

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    OMG the two cables. :conc-big: The blasted shifter cable and throttle cable. Man what a brain laspe i had on that one.:)
    Ask away man I will be more then glad to steer you the wrong way oopppss the right way.:) :)

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    One of them wires could possibly be to a neutral switch so motor won't crank in gear.. another should be a ground..:crying:

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'm glad you're on the right page Bubba, I read this thread so much I'm dizzy. Sounds like several instances of calling the same part two different things. I wish he was closer to me, I'd wire it up for him. I dig doing that kind of stuff. Anyhow my accessory cable coming out of my controls has a constant 12v, switched 12v, ground and a tach sense. Any chance any of his wires, not cables, are any of these? I wouldn't think using any of those wires would be good for running accessories off of anyhow. They are primarily for gauges aren't they? Wish I could be of more help...

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ill take pics tomorrow and show you guys why I want to rewire. Also show you some of the wires im talking about, which can help you help me

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's a great idea Kevin!

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've got to call them what they are and be specific.

A cable controls somthing through a mechanical means. Wires carry elecrical power to something ang back to ground.

If your not specific, you'll confuse everyone but me. Yup, I'm always sure I don't know it all.:p

A fuse block in a big ol' boat I wired about a yr ago.

Attached Files:

18. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Yeah I dunno much about rewiring a boat or messing with outboards. Learning some about routine maintenace on my outboard and by time I get boat rewired I will know how to do that as well :)

Tried to take pics but my battereies were dead in camera. Will post after work with them.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kevin, if you need any help, let me know. I'm only about 30 minutes away, and it's on the way to B/P, too. LOL
    I stayed at some little ol' motel once, too.

20. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    May take you up on that tommy. Plan to trace down and remove all the wires that I know this afternoon and tonight. Im gonna take pics of it all and get you guys help along way.