Reward for my lost pole

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 23, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went fishing on the rock river tonight (in Illinois), my fiance caught a 13.4 lb flathead on a bluegill. Her biggest fish. About an hour after that (around 10), at the speed of sound, my pole flies over the edge of the boat and splashes down in the water. The chem light I had fastened to the end of the rod swam away within an instant. I had just tied down my really big pole to the cooler full of bait. I was sitting right next to this pole and saw the whole thing occur but had absolutely no time to react. After it was in the water I thought briefly about jumping in after it (like I've done a time or two before) but it was gone before I could weigh the risks. I was hoping that with 7 other poles hanging out of a 21 foot pontoon that someone would snag the line.......but no such luck. So please, if you fish the rock river in Illinois, keep an eye out for a 7 foot ugly stik rod with 30 lb braided stren........you can keep the fish.

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nick;
    WOW and OMG!!!!:waaaht: I can only imagine how your feeling right now as this is something that I have never experienced personally! I've had rods, reels, ect, stolen, but never, so far, anything like what you just described in your post!
    Hopefully, this will only spur you on to having a "Reckoning" with the critter that took your rod and reel! I will look forward to hearing about that day when it happens because I KNOW you will come out on top in "Round 2"!!!
    I must say, and I hope you take this in a positive way, that your experience has given me pause, and consideration, along with perhaps an idea, that I think I will see if I can have it incorporated in the new custom rod that is going to be built for me personally!
    I can tell you that this rod is going to be built specifically to deal, firmly, with such humongus water critters with really bad manners! Such as the one that took your rod and reel!
    While I don't fish at your location, I will keep you in my thoughts and say a Prayer, in hopes that you get your rod and reel back!
    I am sure that any of our BOC Brothers and Sisters that fish in your area will keep a look out too!
    I have no doubt of that what-so-ever and I know that the word will go out with blazing speed, once just a few others see your post! I have discovered in the short time that I have been a member that the internet's speed is a poor second place, compared to the speed of the BOC Brothers and Sisters speed to help a fellow member out!
    Good Luck, Best Wishes and a Prayer to You and Yours.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

3. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks, I might go back and try and snag it. It couldnt have gone too far. I just couldn't move fast enough to grab it, and I'm not in bad shape. I was sitting within arms reach. I would have jumped in if I thought I had a chance to grab it. And yes, I am furious and I did indeed have nightmares last night that somebody else found my pole and the monster tied to it. Thank you for the words of comfort, it was my second favorite pole out of 14.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    You gotta be careful when fishing for bait lol jk. Sorry bout your loss

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sorry about you losing that rod, but man be careful jumpin out in the water after dark. With all them rods out, chances are fair to middlin that you'd been the catch of the night... Imagine the headline... " 200 pounder caught on a size 8 Gamakatsu circle hook, fisherman on wrong side of the rod!"

6. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    But it was part of my one-two knock out punch. It was my second pole for many years. I used it for my cut bait pole, my small bluegill pole, my shiner pole, my bobber and shiner pole, my northern and muskie pole, and sometimes even as my worm pole. So there is a big void to fill. I feel empty.

7. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    sorry for your lose had it happen bank fishing,,I'm guessing there were no rod holders on the toon..might be a good investment in the future lol

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I rod loss convinced me to install rod holders. I'm sold on them. A few years ago I had a zebco 33 (no loss now looking back) pulled out of my hands when I dozed off. I was just fishing worms for small channels in a small river. Never did figure out what the culprit was. Good luck on snagging your rod, but I never did find mine.