Review of Collins Customs 8, 12, 16 oz No-Roll Slip Sinker Mold

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by SkipEye, Sep 1, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    As promised, finally got around to pouring some sinkers for the review.

I am in no way affiliated with this company.

As discussed previously, there is literally no place to buy no-roll molds of this size except Collins Customs. These are expensive and will set you back approx. $105 incl. shipping. But, why scrounge around the rest of your life trying to make do with something that just is a pain, or only works so so. Spend the money, get over it

and then go fishing.

There are many times on the big rivers where 8 oz won't even come close to holding bottom and in those situations you just need to go bigger. Bank sinkers and such, fished on a 3 way rig will hold better but I and many others prefer the carolina rig, or slip sinker. Less tangles etc.......

Ar first glance the immense size hits you. This mold is beefy, being machined out of billet aluminum. The tolerances are tight and quality workmanship is evident. Guess thats a given with CNC technology.

The handles seem a little cheesy for the costs though. They are entirely functional and work good but I think they could have done better in that area.

The sprues are actually a good size which makes for easy pouring. After all, you gotta get a lot of lead in there quivkly.

The interior of the molds are nice and smooth but my sinkers always end up wrinkled, that always happens for me though and is not the fault of the mold.

You'll see a comparison shot with a Do-It 6, 8 oz mold right next to the collins. Yup, like I said it is massive.

I have an accurate trade scale and the finished sinkers were weighed as follows. Lead density can vary so not sure if this means squat.

COLLINS CUSTOM

8 oz - Actual weight 8.2 oz

12 oz - Actual weight 12.4 oz

16 oz - Actual weight 16.6 oz

Do-It Mold

8 oz - Actual weight 7.6 oz using same lead as above

Conclusions:

• I am glad I bought it
    • Man, that was expensive
    • Can't wait to hit those heretofore unfishable spots with my BIG sinkers
    • When I need more big sinkers it sure will be nice to mozy out to the garage and just make me some

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    some more some more some more

Attached Files:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Comparison of an 8 oz no-roll from Do-It with the 8, 12, 16 oz from Collins Customs

Attached Files:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Forgot to add.

They make them BIGGER than this one. :eek:oooh:

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You are right. They are expensive! I think for 100 bucks, I'll just double up the 8's I make with my mold. Good report though and it's appreciated.

6. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    Those mold's look really professional and well made.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the review Skip. I had never heard of Collins Custom Molds. Looks to be as well made as the Do It molds.

8. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    For what its worth, they wont be as pretty. But you can cast this style sinker by using metal or aluminum spoons. A metal ladle can be ground down to make a sinker of this type in any weight.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Now everyone is going to want Skip to pour them some sinkers or bum his mold. :tounge_out: That thing is massive thanks for sharing.....the pics that is.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for the report skipper!:wink: Me & Johnny might be needin a "few" of those big-dudes:wink:

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats pretty awsome skip.... id make a bunch up and sell them until i paid for the mold. but if your not into that, then thats cool.

i know this is an older thread, how do the work for ya. was the investment worth it.