Review - Abu Garcia 6600D5

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by IamMike, Feb 19, 2006.

1. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    OK, so I went to the local Walmart to check out the marked down items and found a gem. I purchased this reel for $59 (marked down from $99.95) and all I can say is WOW. I mated this unit with a 7' Uglystick Catfish series rod and some Trilene Ironsilk 17lb test (marked down to $4). This reel is awesome at casting. Using a 5/8" socket, I was easily able to cast over 100 yards (seriously). The reel is equiped with five ball bearings and a magnetic spool break (as opposed to the mechanical variety on their 'C' series reels). The reel is super smooth in both casting and retrieve. I can't wait to get a big one and see how good the drag system is. The reel is a little smaller than a 6500 and holds a little less line, but it is totally big enough for some cats. I would reccomend this reel for your collection, I love it already.

abu_6600d5.jpg

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    thanks for the feedback.
    I'm shopping around for a couple of new reels.
    keep us posted on how she works when you start hookin into the Cats.
    thanks
    Larry

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Good Info. Thanks For The Review.

4. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    That's a good looking reel, haven't seen those at our local walmart, I will have to keep my eyes open. I bought two big shakespere apollo spinning reels for the kids to use for 7.00 each and a bunch of the dip bait worms for .50 a pack. The kids use the heck out of them. Boog

5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I just got back from wally world, yep they had the 6600 D5 there actually they had 2 of them i bought just 1 $40.00 i figured i couldn't go too wrong except i spent over $100.00 bucks b4 i got out of walmart, they just happened to have another reel on sale also a 5600 C4 MAG it was a little more than the 6600 but seems to be a nice looking reel, i have no idea about baitcasters i usually use spinning reel mitchel 308x. this is going to be a good change i hope, if not the baiters will be for sell.. i also had to pick up a "sponge bob square pants" bobber for my tackle box.. is the 5600 going to work very well for cats? mostly i fish for channel cats but would love to ty into a fat ole flatty.. thanks for post kenny

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'm using the 5600 C5 mag reel, and very happy with it. It is more of a bass/muskie type reel (no clicker, but I don't use one) with less line capacity than the 6500s.

I don't know if the 5600 is basically the same gearing as the 6500 with just a smaller spool or if there's other differences. Either way, I like it. The magnetic brake is a nice feature.

Shawn

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    YOu will love the baitcasters once you get used to it. I know I do. Have been fishing a 6000 for about 7 years now and it is a fine catfishing rig.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I looked at the reel, in the showcase, but didn't pick it up. What's the line capacity? It was a real nice reel, but the spool looked narrower than a standard reel. Should be great for casting, though.
    I got sidetracked by a Penn 320gt2/slammer rod combo - got it for $65 so I couldn't say no. The reel alone was $93 in the showcase.