Review - Abu Garcia 6600D5

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by IamMike, Feb 19, 2006.

1. IamMike

IamMike New Member

Ohio (near cincy)
    OK, so I went to the local Walmart to check out the marked down items and found a gem. I purchased this reel for $59 (marked down from $99.95) and all I can say is WOW. I mated this unit with a 7' Uglystick Catfish series rod and some Trilene Ironsilk 17lb test (marked down to $4). This reel is awesome at casting. Using a 5/8" socket, I was easily able to cast over 100 yards (seriously). The reel is equiped with five ball bearings and a magnetic spool break (as opposed to the mechanical variety on their 'C' series reels). The reel is super smooth in both casting and retrieve. I can't wait to get a big one and see how good the drag system is. The reel is a little smaller than a 6500 and holds a little less line, but it is totally big enough for some cats. I would reccomend this reel for your collection, I love it already.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

thanks for the feedback.
    I'm shopping around for a couple of new reels.
    keep us posted on how she works when you start hookin into the Cats.

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

Bluff City, TN
    Good Info. Thanks For The Review.
  4. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

Carrollton, MO
    That's a good looking reel, haven't seen those at our local walmart, I will have to keep my eyes open. I bought two big shakespere apollo spinning reels for the kids to use for 7.00 each and a bunch of the dip bait worms for .50 a pack. The kids use the heck out of them. Boog
  5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

Wilton Iowa
    I just got back from wally world, yep they had the 6600 D5 there actually they had 2 of them i bought just 1 $40.00 i figured i couldn't go too wrong except i spent over $100.00 bucks b4 i got out of walmart, they just happened to have another reel on sale also a 5600 C4 MAG it was a little more than the 6600 but seems to be a nice looking reel, i have no idea about baitcasters i usually use spinning reel mitchel 308x. this is going to be a good change i hope, if not the baiters will be for sell.. i also had to pick up a "sponge bob square pants" bobber for my tackle box.. is the 5600 going to work very well for cats? mostly i fish for channel cats but would love to ty into a fat ole flatty.. thanks for post kenny
  6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

i'm using the 5600 C5 mag reel, and very happy with it. It is more of a bass/muskie type reel (no clicker, but I don't use one) with less line capacity than the 6500s.

I don't know if the 5600 is basically the same gearing as the 6500 with just a smaller spool or if there's other differences. Either way, I like it. The magnetic brake is a nice feature.

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

Haughton, Louisiana
    YOu will love the baitcasters once you get used to it. I know I do. Have been fishing a 6000 for about 7 years now and it is a fine catfishing rig.
  8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

Andrews, SC
    I looked at the reel, in the showcase, but didn't pick it up. What's the line capacity? It was a real nice reel, but the spool looked narrower than a standard reel. Should be great for casting, though.
    I got sidetracked by a Penn 320gt2/slammer rod combo - got it for $65 so I couldn't say no. The reel alone was $93 in the showcase.